Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chine Walking

OliverM5
    I've got a problem with my boat chine walking when it get up to about 80 mph. Some background:
    *23' Scarab SCS
    *Vortech Blown 509
    *Bravo One 30 pitch prop spinning 5000 rpm @ 84 mph top speed
    *Single Ram IMCO hydraulic steering
    I don't know what is causing the chinewalk - I think the big power is pushing the transom farther out the water than it should be - how can I cure this? I want to turn up the boost and run closer to the 90's, but scared of the instability.

spectras only
    Try a 2" Imco shorty to let the stern dip ,so the chine will help stabilizing the hull .Your boat has reached the safe max hull speed already !
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/scarab%20scs.jpg

Lavey29
    Good set of tabs which will essentially add length to the boat...Might also want to try a 5 blade prop. I have a 29' Lavey and it ran well with a 4 blade but recent upgrade and it runs even smother with a 5 blade Hydromotive.

h2oski2fast
    I've got a problem with my boat chine walking when it get up to about 80 mph. Some background:
    *23' Scarab SCS
    *Vortech Blown 509
    *Bravo One 30 pitch prop spinning 5000 rpm @ 84 mph top speed
    *Single Ram IMCO hydraulic steering
    I don't know what is causing the chinewalk - I think the big power is pushing the transom farther out the water than it should be - how can I cure this? I want to turn up the boost and run closer to the 90's, but scared of the instability.
    Power has nothing to do with it, more likely the prop or overtrim.

h2oski2fast
    Good set of tabs which will essentially add length to the boat...Might also want to try a 5 blade prop. I have a 29' Lavey and it ran well with a 4 blade but recent upgrade and it runs even smother with a 5 blade Hydromotive.
    You had the worng 4 blade. With the weight of your boat..... it doesn't need a 5 blade. Thats what I love about HB....... A bunch of people "throwing" their $.02 in, thats about all it's worth. Go read more magazines.

Lavey29
    Tried several pitches and diameter 4 blade props lab and standard. The 4 blade was causing a little port side lean due to the torque through the prop...Bob Teague water tested it and put a smaller pitch and smaller diameter 5 blade and it leveled the boat out with less vibration on the drive. Running at 10% slip now which is pretty much right where you want it...thanks for your useless opinion though...
    You had the worng 4 blade. With the weight of your boat..... it doesn't need a 5 blade. Thats what I love about HB....... A bunch of people "throwing" their $.02 in, thats about all it's worth. Go read more magazines.

Run_em_Hard
    You can add some tabs and place them parallel with the water to help reduce chine walk...***boat did an article a couple months ago on tabs. Powerboat TV also did a tab session on one of thier shows, hosted by Reggie Fountain.

Deano
    Powerboat TV also did a tab session on one of thier shows, hosted by Reggie Fountain.
    That was funny clip. He talked about tabs for about 15 seconds and the rest of the time was how not to load your boat because you will put a hook in the bottom

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    Power has nothing to do with it, more likely the prop or overtrim.
    what he said

grads2112
    Trim tabs would probably help but if you want to get a real answer ask this question over at offshoreonly.com....this is ***boat...not a boating website.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast