Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water pressure and cracked jackets

uselessgrant
    got a 455 olds with cracked water jackets. if all else is ok can they be sealed up and run as is with an open cooling system?

Moneypitt
    got a 455 olds with cracked water jackets. if all else is ok can they be sealed up and run as is with an open cooling system?
    My first guess would be NO...........Where are the cracks and how are you planning to seal them up?..............MP

uselessgrant
    they are on the outside of the block about 2'' below the top deck under the exaust manifolds.. jb weld the cure for what ails ya! truth be known i sealed up some mercruiser exaust manifolds whith jb weld and that was 5 years ago they are still on the boat and they don't leak.

Moneypitt
    Anyone else ever seen an Olds crack there? If the cracks are external, hell go for it. You will be able to see the results............There have been some Olds motors very reasonable in the spam section. Guys switching over to BBC or FoMoCo........I would look around a bit........MP

if its to the out side jb weld it

uselessgrant
    i got one of those available if need be came out of a jet boat 500 bucks. really want to hang an outboard on it eventually thought i would try it since i have never had the boat in the water.

Moneypitt
    Was this block magged? Or just visable cracks? I would worry about other areas that you can't see..........Like internal!!...........MP

TahitiTiger
    never seen a block crack there. Give it a nice vee grind, and try that liquid metal. Worst that could happen is it leaks again. But also think, if it is cracked there, it could very possibly have cylinder damage as well.
    Just food for thought.

SmokinLowriderSS
    really want to hang an outboard on it eventually
    What in the world for?
    Oh well, it IS your boat.

uselessgrant
    out boards don't take up interior space and they are more effecient that a bb jet. i want to see how this hull handles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast