Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil to the valve train?

asch
    No restrictors as far as I know. I have only had the boat 3 years. As far as I know the engine has not been pulled or rebuilt.
    I'll have to watch again for oil squirting at higher RPMs after I adjust my valves.
    So another question. I'm going try adjusting the valves with the motor off using the method of tightening the rocker until the push rod stops wiggling and them going 1/2 turn more. Should I do this on a cold motor or warm it up first?
    Thanks for all of the input.
    GM Hydraulic lifters are fairly forgiving depending on the wear factor. Loosen the rocker slowly until it starts to "clatter" then tighten accordingly; 1/4 turn on new valve train, 1/2 to 3/4 turn ought to do it but it depends on the worn surfaces and a full turn+ on really worn valve train. I do this while the motor is running. Get a hold of a cheap-o valve cover and die cut the top section out just large enough to access the rockers. This way, you won't make a mess and keep whatever oil from spilling over. Adjust while the motor is at the preferred operating temp. also.
    As far as the oil goes, as previously mentioned, rockers need very little lubrication. I've had as little as 10lbs at idle on worn motor. However, pressure should increase 10 lbs. for every thousand RPM applied. Anything over 60 lbs. though, and I start to get concerned about gaskets and seals blowing out. That's why I choose not to run that 20-50 stuff in a moderately warm environment especially in conjunction with a H.V. pump. The quality and ingredients of a particular oil is of more importance to me than gobbs of pressure. You should check your push rods though for any partial or complete obstructions, lifters might need to be replaced too.
    I have to agree on the fram thing. I've built my share of motors and have never had an engine or component failure because of one. Never witnessed any overt wear either as a result. That's not to say that I haven't used other brands or that there aren't better filters.

bocco
    So I got the valve covers off to adjust the valve yesterday and it does appear that there is plenty of oil to the rockers.
    I was having trouble with the motor almost dying when I cranked the 1/2 turn after the valve stopped clacking. Is this normal? Almost feels like 1/2 turn is to much.

wsuwrhr
    So I got the valve covers off to adjust the valve yesterday and it does appear that there is plenty of oil to the rockers.
    I was having trouble with the motor almost dying when I cranked the 1/2 turn after the valve stopped clacking. Is this normal? Almost feels like 1/2 turn is to much.
    You need to turn the nut s-l-o-w-l-y, this gives the lifter time to bleed out the excess oil you are pushing out when the nut is tightened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12