Thread: Quick Question

Sal FX4
    Hey Everyone, I hope i am posting in the correct forum.
    Ok, this weekend i am planning on replacing the water impeller assmbly on my 2000 5.7L Mercruiser Bravo 3. Are they any tips or tricks i should know about? I was told to put a little bit of grease and make sure the impeller is spun the correct way before installing, anything else i should know about?
    Also, what exactly is this (See pic) for?
    http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/2397/enginezl5.jpg

DMOORE
    Grease the impeller, and make sure it turns the correct way. You'll be good to go. Also inspect the old impeller, if pieces are are missing, you will have to back flush the system into a bucket to be sure ALL the pieces are out. If not it could cause a blockage. The fitting in the photo appeares to be a flush kit, designed to run the motor on a garden hose.
    Darrell.

Sal FX4
    Grease the impeller, and make sure it turns the correct way. You'll be good to go. Also inspect the old impeller, if pieces are are missing, you will have to back flush the system into a bucket to be sure ALL the pieces are out. If not it could cause a blockage. The fitting in the photo appeares to be a flush kit, designed to run the motor on a garden hose.
    Darrell.
    Thanks!!! So if i have to backflush, what is the procedure?

DMOORE
    Thanks!!! So if i have to backflush, what is the procedure?
    You'll have to disconnect the hose that goes from the water pump to the motor, and place the water pump end in a bucket. Then trace that hose to where it enters the manifold,(usually at the thermostat housing).The water usually goes through an oil cooler first. Disconnect it where it enters the manifold,making sure nothing is stuck on top of the thermostat, and backflush from there.This will usually clear any parts of the impeller out if it has come apart.
    Darrell.

Sal FX4
    You'll have to disconnect the hose that goes from the water pump to the motor, and place the water pump end in a bucket. Then trace that hose to where it enters the manifold,(usually at the thermostat housing).The water usually goes through an oil cooler first. Disconnect it where it enters the manifold,making sure nothing is stuck on top of the thermostat, and backflush from there.This will usually clear any parts of the impeller out if it has come apart.
    Darrell.
    Awesome, great information, thank you!