Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my old race boat

moneysucker
    I saw one with the same paint scheme by my house. I will have to snap a pic to see if it is it.

rossdbos
    The Nostalgia thing wasn't intended to be a "rules" class, like comp Jet, etc. what is was intended to be was a way to get those that had always wanted to get into racing but either didn't have the financial wherewithall to get involved in Spec classes or didn't know if they would like it before making the financial commitment for a spec class. The Nostalgia thing is like "bracket racing" and what it does do is very important: brings new and old blood back into the sport, teaches the new racers how to race along side other boats, turn and "read" the water at a controlled speed. Then after the learning curve of a year or so, some are ready to make the committment to go into other classes while others enjoy the 80 mph- to each his/her own. This was never meant to be about whose got the biggest wallet or fastest boat, it was about racing side by side and having fun.
    What you're also missing is that back in the day, there was a beginning class that doesn't exist today, except in the Nostalgia classes we created which is why there are so many that have stepped up to be a part of the 3 classes created. Most already owned the boat(s) so all they had to do was get safety gear and voila, they were racing- at almost no additional expense.
    Last, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what works for one, may not work for another, but regardless it's all good!
    Hope you find your boat! Good Luck!
    Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.

pw_Tony
    [QUOTE=poncho-pwr;2474977]Just look at asphalt drag racing for example, in the past there have been classes that had limitations put on them such as cast iron heads only, cast intake only, single carb, X-amount of cam lift, compression limits ect. ect. in order to keep costs down and create pairity. In reality what it does is gives a huge advantage to the teams with deep pockets who can do unlimited research and testing in every possible area within the given rules.
    QUOTE]
    Actually I have a very low spending limit and thanks to drag racing regulations and rules I have a very good shot at winning. I've won like two events and I aian't got a fifth the money into my car that those other guys have into theirs. They win more, but doesn't mean I can't win. I like the idea of the speed limit, best driver is the winner

LOWRIVER2
    This subject of circle jets comes up about spring every year.
    I talked to Jack Mcclure about it 3 years ago. His idea of why it has'nt come back (at least on the level it was in the 70's) is the fact that back then it was at least 20 hours of service between races to be competitive. Now, some drag teams do way more than that but many jet drag guys do a lot less. That alone and with the extra costs probably make it not as popular these days. I'm friends with Mel Bacon's son. Mel moved on to Coronado Stone and planes and has 0 interest in boats anymore. I did some research and saw that he did some very innovative stuff back then. George Stregal (sp?) of Clay Smith also did a lot of seat time in the "roundy rounds".
    Keep the stories coming, I wish I could have competed in this then, just before my time.

Wizard612
    Hey moneysucker. Thanks for getting my hopes up. That paint job was unique to only two Daytonas mine and Craig Millet's. If the one you know is black with the yellow orange and red dart on the side it's mine. If it's white with the same dart it's Craig's. Eliminator didn't want to do the graphic because it wasn't "looped" meaning the outside colors didn't completely surround the next color inside of it. Our graphic scheme took almost twice as much tape to produce because they had to double tape the mold to get each color sprayed into the mold. Bob Leach told the guys in the shop to do it anyway since he was looking at two young guys willing to race his boats in a way nobody else said could be done. It was great marketing for him.

Wizard612
    I've got three stories about George. First I think was as Lake Castaic George raced Comp Jet, Going into the first turn his iron flywheel blew up. One piece went straight down and punched a 8" hole in the bottom of his suction piece (Jet inlet) well that piece was designed to bring water up from the lake so george in a mater of a second went from halling ass to "0" bow straight up. After getting the boat back on the trailer the starter ring was lodged half way through the header looking like a piece of spagetti on a fork but pointing out and up at a 45 degree angle. Story two was @ Long Beach George was trying to make an outside turn and lost his engine probably doing 80+. With no rudder the boat whent straight for the rocks. Spectators on the grass saw him comming and dove out of the way as his boat scaled the rocks and landed perfectly flat on the grass. George calmly climbed out of the boat and waved to the croud. The last story is George's last race. Going down the sraight, might have been Bluewater, his boat must have hit a roller wrong doing probably over 90 and rolled. George was violently thrown from the boat landing in the water right before the boat landed over him. His turn fin caught him right between the life jacket and his belt. George pulled himself off his fin just as the resue boat got to him. Us on the beach thought he was a goner and he almost was. George was a supremely strong person though and after months in the hospital was able to get his life going again and can still be found running Clay Smith Cams. George was one of the greats in Jet Boat racing and his character was one reason the sport did so well back then. Wether a competitor or just a kid wanting to know how things worked George would always take time to talk with you share his secrets (though I'm sure not all of them).

Emanon Performance Marine
    Any word on the Boat yet ?

I've got three stories about George. First I think was as Lake Castaic George raced Comp Jet, Going into the first turn his iron flywheel blew up. One piece went straight down and punched a 8" hole in the bottom of his suction piece (Jet inlet) well that piece was designed to bring water up from the lake so george in a mater of a second went from halling ass to "0" bow straight up. After getting the boat back on the trailer the starter ring was lodged half way through the header looking like a piece of spagetti on a fork but pointing out and up at a 45 degree angle. Story two was @ Long Beach George was trying to make an outside turn and lost his engine probably doing 80+. With no rudder the boat whent straight for the rocks. Spectators on the grass saw him comming and dove out of the way as his boat scaled the rocks and landed perfectly flat on the grass. George calmly climbed out of the boat and waved to the croud. The last story is George's last race. Going down the sraight, might have been Bluewater, his boat must have hit a roller wrong doing probably over 90 and rolled. George was violently thrown from the boat landing in the water right before the boat landed over him. His turn fin caught him right between the life jacket and his belt. George pulled himself off his fin just as the resue boat got to him. Us on the beach thought he was a goner and he almost was. George was a supremely strong person though and after months in the hospital was able to get his life going again and can still be found running Clay Smith Cams. George was one of the greats in Jet Boat racing and his character was one reason the sport did so well back then. Wether a competitor or just a kid wanting to know how things worked George would always take time to talk with you share his secrets (though I'm sure not all of them).
    Good stories. George, Patty & Sherri showed up to the last NJBA race in March for the first time in about 20 years ... they had a blast. We sat around and listened to his old stories until about 1am after they had a thrash and dash on Tom Cress' boat that went late into the night ... good times.
    There are a lot of people still around from the old days, you should plan on attending an event.
    Thanks for posting up and sharing, hope you find your boat.
    Brian Busby

Wizard612
    No news on the boat yet. Had a tantilizing post from moneysucker last week about a boat with the same graphics in San Diego. Intriging since that graphic was unique to two boats mine in black and Craig Millet's in white. The post suggested that he would go take a pix of it. I talked to him by land line and he said he would go look again but I haven't hear from him since.

Goad
    Tom,
    I saw this boat out at ming this weekend and got excited for ya....but after lookin at the picture you posted, its not the same but close Your boat didnt have blue in it and the stripes were continuous to the rear... I will continue to keep an eye out for ya.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1178517987
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1178517996
    old pic to compair:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...9&d=1175120662

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast