Thread: Gear Oil in V-Drive?

g935
    I know this has been brought up before but I couldn't find the exact thread. I was using synthetic Mobil One 75/90 weight. There was a thread where someone mentioned Red Line Shock Proof. There's two kinds: Heavy and not so heavy. I bought the "Heavy". I looked at the stuff and it's almost like molasses. On the bottle it stated that it won't sling. My question is: Is this stuff too thick? It doesn't advertise a weight. Should I have gotten the not so heavy stuff. It looks really cool. Bright red. Maybe the v-drive won't be as prone to leaking. I don't know. What do you guys think?
    Geoff

fc-pilot
    Depending on who they are getting a deal from that week, that is what casale recommends. If you are looking to get every last bit of performance then the medium stuff is OK. I have also heard them recommend royal purple on a few occasions.
    Paul

Itsahobby
    Where is your vdrive leaking? If it is coming out of the breather, you are over filling it.
    I am using Merc High Performance gear lube, but plan to change to Redline. But I'm with you on that, not sure which one to use.
    Jerry

Beer-30
    http://www.torcousa.com/ProductImage..._fluid_pop.jpg
    Product Description
    RTF Racing Transmission Fluid is specifically engineered to reduce fluid drag for increased power efficiency without compromising component durability. It is made from a combination of specially selected 100% synthetic Group IV/V base oils proving superior shear resistance and extreme temperature stability. RTF is specially formulated to exceed the load-carrying and extreme pressure wear protection properties of higher viscosity GL-5 or GL-6 gear oils. RTF provides anti-score protection for high speed, high load and high torque shock-loading conditions, while allowing smooth operation of synchronizers.
    Features & Benefits
    - Group IV/V 100% Synthetic Formula
    - Maximizes power throughput
    - Reduces gear box temperatures
    - Superior level of shock load, EP and wear protection
    Typical Uses
    Recommended for manual transmissions, transaxles and marine outdrive units where an SAE 75W90, 80W90 or 90 is specified. Also replaces SAE motor oil 10W30, 30, 10W40 or 40 where specified for transmissions. Commonly used in circle track (Winston Cup, Busch, modified, stock), road racing, formula, open wheel (Champ Cars, IRL Cars), off road, drag racing, sports compact street and domestic performance street applications. Highly recommended for achieving maximum power efficiency. Excellent for dry sump and fluid drive gear cases. Note: RTF is specifically recommended for Richmond Gear Racing Transmissions.
    Meets or Exceeds
    API GL-6
    Available Sizes
    1 Liter, 5 Gallon Pails, 55 Gallon Drums

g935
    Where is your vdrive leaking? If it is coming out of the breather, you are over filling it.
    I am using Merc High Performance gear lube, but plan to change to Redline. But I'm with you on that, not sure which one to use.
    Jerry
    Not sure yet where the leak is. I've got it cleaned up good right now. When I go out again I'll check for leaks. It doesn't leak enough to where the origin is obvious. It might have come from the breather. I just fill it until it runs out the bottom plug hole. So, that shouldn't over fill it.
    Geoff

Itsahobby
    Get yourself one of the baby powder dispensors and poof some powder in the air around the vdrive then blow off the vdrive. You should be able to spot the oil leak from where the baby powder sticks. Just don't get carried away with the baby powder, or you end up with a mess
    Not sure about the level, I think I use about 3/4 of a quart, but I would check with casale.
    Jerry
    Not sure yet where the leak is. I've got it cleaned up good right now. When I go out again I'll check for leaks. It doesn't leak enough to where the origin is obvious. It might have come from the breather. I just fill it until it runs out the bottom plug hole. So, that shouldn't over fill it.
    Geoff