Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdrive Side to side play

Powerquestboy
    I have a Bravo 1 outdrive that has maybe 1-2 inches side to side play in it. The mechanic told me not to worry about but I'm not sure I agree with that. They said next year we can either drill the 2 holes and replace the bearings or take the drive off etc. I am no outdrive guru but isnt there a way to tighten this to eliminate some of this side to side action. I never like to roll the dice with outdrives since 99% of outdrive problems are very very expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks

Mr. Crusader 83
    my dads Hallett has the same problem. And his tech told him not to worry about it.

Mr. Crusader 83
    but i have seen other outdrives that dont move at all. and they do not have external steering.

H20 Toie
    The play in mine was from the gimbal housing, replaced them no more play

SinCity
    I don't know that much about it but was told the Gimble bearing might be bad. I have the same problem and am doing the research to figure it out.

Mr. Crusader 83
    The play in mine was from the gimbal housing, replaced them no more play
    it was the gimble housing or bearing

scarabrick2
    Gimble ring pivot pins/bushings have to be replaced i believe. been a while so I think thats correct. they can drill a hole in the housing and replaced the bushings then they cap the hole. Pulling the drive is more expensive. shouldn't have that much play. replace the bushings and add a single ram steering asst so it will help with the wear.

voodoomedman
    Why would you want to drill holes in your drive and do it the chintzy way when you can pull the drive off and have it done right. My drive is pulled off every year to check for alignment anyway. Some people have theirs pulled off all of the off season when they are winterized. I guess I'm just funny in that I wouldn't want unnecessary holes drilled into my 5 thousand dollar drive unit.

mjc
    I had this happen twice to my old boat. The steering arm is a square pin in a round hole at the top of the gimble ring and the hole wears out causing slop in the steering. If you take the steering wheel and it moves without moving the drive this is what has happened and you can use it this way without any problem other than sloppy steering. One of the causes of this i found out is beaching the boat and letting the drive bounce off the bottom it put lots of pressure on the upper piviot this way. I ran mine this way for about 3 years with no problem

mjc
    to replace the gimble ring requires pulling the engine to get the transom assembly off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast