Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My New Engine!

FILUCKY
    Bp, when the motor was built it was going into a car, or it would have been setup differnt. My new motor is going to be an exact copy of a motor that has already been built and dynoed extensively (1089hp@6800) with a single carb, the same motor was also dynoed with a sheetmetal intake with two dominators, it made a little over 1150hp but was at 500rpm higher which would be a waste for my aplication since 6800 is my target rpm. I guess what i don't understand is why people don't build proven combos, expecialy people on limmited bugets? Even with copping a motor that on a dyno is exactily what i want i'm pretty sure when it actualy goes in the boat i will have to do some tunning in the boat for the best performance.

BrendellaJet
    Oh, so you are knocking me because i paid to have my motor built? You are so cool.
    You are the one who paid to go to the dyno and didnt get his money's worth.

Bow Tie Omega
    Well i dug through my toolbox and found my cam change specs. I tryied four different cam posisions. first was at 2*adv. (best on dyno@7200) it turned 6400, then i went with 0* and thats when it ran the worst 6000, then i went to 4*adv. it turned 6700, so i added 2* more advance (6* total) and it slowed it down to 6500. and so back to 4*advananced. And Brendellajet, when i need advise on how to wright a check to pay someone to build me a motor, i'll ask ya. And as far as bump'n heads with Steelcomp, i rather enjoy it, i almost always leave, having learned something new.
    Well filucky, you can slam Brendella Jet for writing a check for having one of the most reputable marine engine builders in the industry do his motor right the first time, but it was you who had to put two engines in your boat to get it to perform how you wanted. So who is more stupid, spending money the first time for a motor done right, or spending thousands more on building two engines before you got it right. So when I have a need to waste thousands of dollars on a combo that will not work, I will give you a call. And oh yeah, that money that I save from not using a dyno, I can re-apply it towards building my second motor, because the first one did not meet my expectations.

Bow Tie Omega
    Oh Bailey, by the way, nice motor, that intake is absolutely bitchen. IMO, you are leaving some HP on the table with out taking that motor to the dyno. For a mild set up, I would not waste the money, but with more aggressive set ups such as yours, it would not hurt and would only help. Anyways, anyone who tells you that you do not need to with more agressive setups, they are giving you bad info. Trust me, while I have recieved some great info on these boards in the past, I have recieved some bad info as well, and the bad info is what ended up costing me thousands of dollars.
    Regardless, nice motor, good luck with everything!

MudPumper
    Did I mention......That intake and those valve covers give me a giant BONER.

Ralph Brunt
    good looking motor, i would like to know why you went with the edelbrock heads? and what cc's are they
    ralph

steelcomp
    Steel, i agree with ya. My point is everyone is telling this guy he needs to dyno his motor to get all his hp, but if the motor is not built to the correct specs for his aplication it is a waist of time and money. My motor was built for a drag car and put in a jetboat and no amount of dyno time will change thatTrue, nothing will cahnge that, but the dyno will tell you ahead of time that your combination is wrong. I don't think everyone here is telling Baily to dyno for max power...at least I'm not. The idea of dynoing an engine is to gather useful information that you can't get anywhere else. It's nice that you live so close to a lake, but not everyone has that luxury. I did 14 pulls on my engine in my session. I had too much invested in my engine to just throw it in the boat and run it, and that would have been very inconvenient. It looks like Baily has a few $$ invested as well, and that needs to be protected. To me, the more you have invested, and the higher the level of performance the engine, the more valuable a dyno session is. Even the most successful grass roots racers recognise the value of dyno time. Your experience is your experience, but to recommernd to someone else that dyno time is wasted, isn't good advice. Not everyone builds "known" combinations. Some of us do our own thinking (not to imply that you don't) and try our own combinations. I was very confident that my engine was going to make good power, especially for it's size, but I had to try a lot of things that were a little "outside the box" for the scope of the project, and I wanted to test the combination in a controlled environment, and I'm glad I did. Dual fours on a sheetmetal intak isn't off the shelf stuff, and I don't care how many times the combination has been built, every engine is different. Baily's engine will require some experience and knowledge to tune and optimize.
    Baily, if you can afford the $$ for a dyno session, I would highly recommend it, for your own benefit. It's cheap insurance to pretect your investment. I'm guessing you have some respectable $$ invested in that engine, and it would be a shame not to be able to fully take advantage of what you have, instead of just guessing, or find out too late (in the middle of the lake) that sometrhing was overlooked, or a mistake was made. That's for amatures. Besides, just the experience of a day on the dyno is worth the $$. LIke they say...you think an education is expensive, it's nothing compared to ignorance.
    Just my .02...not trying to butt heads with anyone.

steelcomp
    Remember this too. Plenty of guys claim they are making "X" amount of power on the dyno, but what are they making in the boat, out of ideal conditions. Also, if the motor makes power at lets say 6800rpm, but it only turns 6200 in the boat, then max power is not being made is it! Then what? start cutting impellors? start changing this and/ or that. Where does the tuning truly take place?The dyno will give you a baseline for all further comparisons. If your engine is making X amount of power at the dyno, there is information about under what conditions it was making that power. IE DA, humidity, temp, etc. My engine was tested at a DA of 2700', at about 84 degrees. I know then, that on any day, I can fairly accureately estimate what the power is given the conditions, and what tune up cahnges I might need to make. If the engine was turning 6800 on the dyno, but only turns 6200 in the boat, that may not matter, if the power drop isn't substansial. The point is, that with a dyno session, you'll know what the power is at 6200, and weather or not you need to make chages to get the engine to operate at a higher RPM where there's considerably more power, or leave it there, where it's not going to make a big difference anyway. It's all about useful information, and again, without it, you can chase your tail untill the cows come home, or come out of the gate knowing exactly where you stand.

FILUCKY
    So why was my money wasted on a dyno session? Like i've stated several times in this thread alone my 514 was built and tunned for a drag CAR, not a jetboat. But when i decided to build a drag BOAT, i used the motor i already had sitting on a engine stand in my shop, from there i retunned the motor for top performance in a jetboat with the parts the motor already had. Was it optimal? no. but with a hard days work the motor was dialed in without taking it to a dyno. The 514 ran great after being retunned but i wanted more, so it was sold and the money was put towards a bigger motor. Once agian, no money wasted.

GM Killer
    Im glad my few words got a good discussion going Some good points were made on both sides of the table. I enjoyed it. Thanks guys.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast