Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M. Waltrip Fails To Qualify in Driving Home. Crashes.

Boatcop
    From FOXNEWS:
    Michael Waltrip has been charged with reckless driving and failing to report an accident after hitting a telephone pole and rolling his car about a mile from his home over the weekend.
    Waltrip, who suffered scratches to his arms, hands and face and cuts on his finger, said he fell asleep at the wheel right before he wrecked his Toyota Land Cruiser early Saturday morning. He left the scene of the accident and walked the rest of the way home.
    Police found him at his house about six hours after finding the car at the accident scene.
    "I am really embarrassed about the accident, but I feel fortunate that I wasn't hurt," the two-time Daytona 500 winner said Tuesday.
    "For 25 years I have had a great driving record. I consider myself to be a courteous and safe driver on public roads. I never expected to fall a sleep behind the wheel of a car."
    Police said the accident happened before 2 a.m. when Waltrip lost control of his SUV while driving around a curve and overcorrected. His car rolled and hit a utility pole, said Sgt. Brian Sharpe of the State Highway Patrol in Catawba County.
    The vehicle, which was on its side, was abandoned and there was blood in it when police arrived. Witnesses reported seeing the driver crawl from the car and leave.
    "He left the scene," Sharpe said. "We got the plate number, realized it was him and tried to locate him."
    An attempt to locate him that morning was unsuccessful, but police reached him the next day. Waltrip was not arrested.
    It's the latest troubles for Waltrip, who is having a horrendous first season as a car owner.
    He was caught cheating during Daytona 500 preparations when NASCAR found a fuel additive in his engine, and was docked a record 100 driver points. His crew chief was fined a record $100,000 and suspended indefinitely, as was his competition director.
    Meanwhile, he has failed to qualify for the five races since the 500.

FilthyHaBIT
    Man that sucks for Waltrip....no luck I guess. He lives around the corner from me and I didn't know it happened until I saw the thread. He was probably hammered and decided to walk home before the law showed up. Can't say that I blame him.

SummitKarl
    I don't know who's going down in flames faster...Mikey or Imus

JetBoatRich
    Man that sucks for Waltrip....no luck I guess. He lives around the corner from me and I didn't know it happened until I saw the thread. He was probably hammered and decided to walk home before the law showed up. Can't say that I blame him.
    there was blood at the scene:idea: couldn't they check for alcohol from this?

73kona455
    he cant make a toyota turn on the track.. guess he has trouble with one on the street too...

driverno8
    Sucks. Hopefully his season turns around

RiverDave
    there was blood at the scene:idea: couldn't they check for alcohol from this?
    Most likely dried blood by now?
    I don't think a DUI is going to bring out the CSI investigators either.. Now had there been a body in the car, quite possibly?
    No doubt he was hammered.
    RD

Bow Tie Omega
    Dont worry Michael Waltrip fans, his big brother Darrel will find a way to blame all of this on Robby Gordon, trust me. Personally, I hope Toyota drops him all together. He cant make a race, Dale Jarret of all people can not make a race without using a past champions provisional (he only has one left). There are many other teams out there much more deserving of some of that sponsorship money that MWR is getting. Michael Waltrip is in way over his head on this one. He could not win before DEI, he can not win after DEI. It was pretty stupid of Toyota to make MWR their flagship race team. They really needed to bring in an established team/s with points from the get go and make a run of it. I think Toyota's ego hurt them with this venture in Cup. No doubt they will turn things around, the question is when. As for MWR, If they have 3 sponsored teams by mid season with the same drivers, I would be amazed. Toyota already told Michael Waltrip that he had used two of his 3 strikes with the whole sterno thing at Daytona. I believe this is strike 3 if he is convicted of reckelss driving.

Baja Big Dog
    Dont worry Michael Waltrip fans, his big brother Darrel will find a way to blame all of this on Robby Gordon, trust me. Personally, I hope Toyota drops him all together. He cant make a race, Dale Jarret of all people can not make a race without using a past champions provisional (he only has one left). There are many other teams out there much more deserving of some of that sponsorship money that MWR is getting. Michael Waltrip is in way over his head on this one. He could not win before DEI, he can not win after DEI. It was pretty stupid of Toyota to make MWR their flagship race team. They really needed to bring in an established team/s with points from the get go and make a run of it. I think Toyota's ego hurt them with this venture in Cup. No doubt they will turn things around, the question is when. As for MWR, If they have 3 sponsored teams by mid season with the same drivers, I would be amazed. Toyota already told Michael Waltrip that he had used two of his 3 strikes with the whole sterno thing at Daytona. I believe this is strike 3 if he is convicted of reckelss driving.
    Glad this is your "personal" opinion, (you know the same as assholes, like everyone has)., and not the opinion of all folks that love racing, not for what it was, but for what it is. New ventures, hell yes that's what make this sport fun, something new, and different.
    And for the reckless (reckelss) driving, since your the judge, jury and the hangman lets all hope he goes down hard for this, I'm thinking of a 3-5 year sentence should do, don't you????:idea:

Bow Tie Omega
    Glad this is your "personal" opinion, (you know the same as assholes, like everyone has)., and not the opinion of all folks that love racing, not for what it was, but for what it is. New ventures, hell yes that's what make this sport fun, something new, and different.
    And for the reckless (reckelss) driving, since your the judge, jury and the hangman lets all hope he goes down hard for this, I'm thinking of a 3-5 year sentence should do, don't you????:idea:
    Right back at you!!!! Be careful now, you being a Michael Waltrip fan is bleeding through and clouding your judgement. I have loved racing for years, just not ass holes like Michael Waltrip who smile and pat you on the back when the camera is on, but tell you to F/O after the camera is off. By the way, who in the hell made you the all mightly representative of race fans. You must be just another Michael Waltrip fan talking out of your ass. Get used to this, because the only thing Michael Waltrip seems to do right these days is screw up. He has to cheat to make a race and he has to evade police after he flips his car at 1:30 in the morning. I wonder how much he had to drink that night there almighty race fan. Most of us would have atleast left a note with contact info if we had to leave a scene of our own accident. I wonder why he did not......Would you have the same opinion if lets say......Robby Gordon had this happen to him........
    And as far as the reckelss driving statement there brain trust, that is what the police charged him with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast