Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flip that house

EmpirE231
    what kind of costs are associated with this type of investment (outside of all upgrades etc. done to the house) ... such as capital gains tax, supplemental, etc... and if you do a buy from owner type of deal (no agents) what are the ways to get that done, and how long does it usually take??
    tryin to make a quick buck

al cole'holic
    what kind of costs are associated with this type of investment (outside of all upgrades etc. done to the house) ... such as capital gains tax, supplemental, etc... and if you do a buy from owner type of deal (no agents) what are the ways to get that done, and how long does it usually take??
    ...sign is going up Friday on a flip we just finished! Closed escrow January 3rd and started with a complete overhaul job that included bullnose corners, can lights, whole new kitchen, master bath add on for a 2 person shower, all cabinets, doors, windows, granite, travertine floors, all new carpet, new duct work, switches and outlets, sod & sprinks, and a touch of concrete here and there. Had a budget of $50k which we came in under. The house was a roach and the asking was $499k, we offered $450k and he took it (nasty divorces are a plus when looking!). The listing price will be roughly $575k which isn't a buttload if it goes for that but is a nice piece of change. As far as taxes, we are gonna take the hit and add it to income for the year which will be due well into '08 so that was a factor, instead of a 1031. We have already scoped out the next project and have a list narrowed down to a few rough diamonds..hopefully it all works out. Being agents does help to keep the proceeds up though, but knowing agents is the next best thing
    If you or anyoned here are seriously looking into a "fix n flip" sitiation around the SFV, Ventura County areas let me know

soupersonic
    You can get a contract to buy the home at any stationary store and close when ever you agree to. I wouldnt worry about capital gains to much as you will have many receipts for repairs to the home to offset the taxes.

LhcBrad
    You want a challenge for a flipper here is one.

EmpirE231
    my buddies parents going through a rough time.. .divorce / pretty damn close to losing the house. nothing in the area for the same square footage going for less than 500k ... gonna see if they take my offer @ 400k ... needs some work... but since that's my dads profession... I assume I would go 10-15k out of pocket, where the normal person would be 30-35. might be able to profit atleast 70k or so (from purchase price + repairs subtracted from selling price) ... if all houses in same rage are @ 510... I would list it at 490 for a quick sale... and it has a nice pool / spa
    we'll see if they go for it?? just wondering how much capital gains will rob me of the profits.

soupersonic
    You want a challenge for a flipper here is one.
    Thats easy. Flip it into the dumpster and start over

HM
    If you have never done this before, you will find that in reality it is a way to lose a quick buck.

dumbandyoung
    your in the wrong market place for that, you missed by about 2 years...
    Although there are a few really good deals that come along here and there where you can make a little profit. If i find one Ill let you know.

soupersonic
    my buddies parents going through a rough time.. .divorce / pretty damn close to losing the house. nothing in the area for the same square footage going for less than 500k ... gonna see if they take my offer @ 400k ... needs some work... but since that's my dads profession... I assume I would go 10-15k out of pocket, where the normal person would be 30-35. might be able to profit atleast 70k or so (from purchase price + repairs subtracted from selling price) ... if all houses in same rage are @ 510... I would list it at 490 for a quick sale... and it has a nice pool / spa
    we'll see if they go for it?? just wondering how much capital gains will rob me of the profits.
    Repairs plus commission and mortgage payments for however many months is average for your area to sell, can eat alot of profit fast. Be carefull

Mrs. 20
    I love the show Flip that House! We have considered flipping houses too. I have a neighbor who does this. He is just holding them right now and renting them out until the market gets better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast