Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has their boat documented with the Coast Guard?

Magic34
    If you have it documented with the CG, does law enforcement in AZ recognize that or do they hassle you?
    I know it is as legit if not more than local AZ #s, however, how does the local water police feel out here in AZ?
    BoatCop, any love on this?

Big Warlock
    Law enforcement in Az. does recognize it. No problem. I have been stopped and asked if it is coast guard registered. Easy enough. I know a few others as well. I did register my Donzi in Az. for a year as well because I went through a service to get the name changed, etc. etc. Took a few months. Now the Dept of Revenue in Az. is looking for taxes on the sale of the Donzi prior to registering it for next year.
    Not going to re register it in Az.. And they (Arizona) owe me over $500K!!! So no, they will not be getting a check from me for the Donzi!! :devil: Maybe they need to pay me the money they have been holding out for four years???

al cole'holic
    Law enforcement in Az. does recognize it. No problem. I have been stopped and asked if it is coast guard registered. Easy enough. I know a few others as well. I did register my Donzi in Az. for a year as well because I went through a service to get the name changed, etc. etc. Took a few months. Now the Dept of Revenue in Az. is looking for taxes on the sale of the Donzi prior to registering it for next year.
    Not going to re register it in Az.. And they (Arizona) owe me over $500K!!! So no, they will not be getting a check from me for the Donzi!! :devil: Maybe they need to pay me the money they have been holding out for four years???
    ...there's a story worthy of a large tub of popcorn

soupersonic
    Coast Guard Registered here also. It says right in the state web site that is one of the exceptions.
    Straight from the Game and Fish webpage
    All motorboats must be registered in Arizona regardless of their size, construction, or type and size of motor. This includes, for example, inflatable rafts, sailboats and canoes with motors (including electric motors). Exceptions to the registration requirement include watercraft used solely as lifeboats and those documented by the U. S. Coast Guard.

racecar.hotshoe
    And it beats the crap out of cailfs reg every year

driverno8
    How do you even go about registering it with the CG. Between registering it that way and having the pink slip to it. Will I still need to pay the f'n luxury tax every year. God, that's getting old...quick!

racecar.hotshoe
    How do you even go about registering it with the CG. Between registering it that way and having the pink slip to it. Will I still need to pay the f'n luxury tax every year. God, that's getting old...quick!
    you will still pay the lux tax just no reg

Mrs. 20
    Our last boat was CG registered, and we never had a problem in AZ. We wanted to do it with this one, but the numbers are painted on. So it seems to be too much of an undertaking.

Jordy
    We wanted to do it with this one, but the numbers are painted on.
    Painted numbers really aren't that hard to remove. Same thing with painted on names, although I have a hunch that boat has No Name.
    There was a thread about it in the how to section. As I recall, oven cleaner was a popular method.

driverno8
    you will still pay the lux tax just no reg
    Then how do I get out of paying the luxury tax. $900+ a year is getting old.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast