Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v-drive oil pans?camshaft selection?

bbcdonzi
    which v-drive oil pan are most everyone running..I just bought a v-drive donzi hornet..It had an automotive pan on it..the dooley pans look good but know one around here has a v-drive to ask about this..anyone found a good cam that works good in 468 chevy with oval ports ..only looking to make 400-425 hp in this boat..

Fired Up
    Donzi,
    HP Books puts out a manual which has been referred to several times on this site. Its called Big Block Chevy Marine Performance. Its very easy to read and gives good explanations for different aspects of motor applications. It goes into detail as far as referring cams based on your application with cam specs and manufacturer numbers. I finally went out and bought it and was glad to learn from it. I know telling you to go buy a book is not a great response, but there is good info to be had in the book.

superdave013
    dooley makes a real nice v-drive pan. It comes with a windage tray and a bitching pick-up too. I bet the engine was not very happy with that auto pan.
    I'll stay away from the cam selection. That has a lot to do with the gear and rpm range that you want to run in.
    I would like to see a pic of the v-drive set up in that boat. Could you post a pic. I've never seen a v-drive donzi before.

bbcdonzi
    Just started with boats. Ill go buy the book..Ive drag raced(automobiles)for the past 22 years but boats are now my money hole of choice.. Originally posted by Fired Up:
    Donzi,
    HP Books puts out a manual which has been referred to several times on this site. Its called Big Block Chevy Marine Performance. Its very easy to read and gives good explanations for different aspects of motor applications. It goes into detail as far as referring cams based on your application with cam specs and manufacturer numbers. I finally went out and bought it and was glad to learn from it. I know telling you to go buy a book is not a great response, but there is good info to be had in the book.

bbcdonzi
    Thanks Ill buy the dooley as soon as we do christmas I can use the digital camera and will post some pictures of this v-drive ..its a 65 hornet single seat row..not many of them left on the water.. Originally posted by superdave013:
    dooley makes a real nice v-drive pan. It comes with a windage tray and a bitching pick-up too. I bet the engine was not very happy with that auto pan.
    I'll stay away from the cam selection. That has a lot to do with the gear and rpm range that you want to run in.
    I would like to see a pic of the v-drive set up in that boat. Could you post a pic. I've never seen a v-drive donzi before.

BradP
    The HPBook is must for the mild BBC marine motor, great info. Call George at Clay Smith or the guys at Engle for the cam.

72 superlite
    Dan Olson Racing Product also has a nice v-drive pan which includes a windage tray, and pickup. About 400.00 delivered to your door. Also I think Milodon has one in the PAW catalog.

DetroitJim
    Hey, the hot setup for a v-drive pan is to go to dragboats.com and look for the ad that Dale Ishimaru is always running. He's a Top Fuel driver and sells parts on the side. Great guy to deal with. He sells a pan made by MLJ or some name like that, gold color, trap door, with flat windage tray and pickup for about 250 bucks.

superdave013
    Originally posted by DetroitJim:
    Hey, the hot setup for a v-drive pan is to go to dragboats.com and look for the ad that Dale Ishimaru is always running. He's a Top Fuel driver and sells parts on the side. Great guy to deal with. He sells a pan made by MLJ or some name like that, gold color, trap door, with flat windage tray and pickup for about 250 bucks.
    The Dooley pan is a much nicer deal. I do like the MLJ guys though and they do make some bitchin stuff. Where do you think Rex gets alot of their billet parts from. That's right, little Mike makes them.
    Mike Oak is right next door and is a great source for used parts too.

superdave013
    Here is a shot of a Dooley windage try and oil pump pickup. I'll post a pic of the pan when I'm done doing a little welding. I'm putting in some fittings for oil returns from my turbos.
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/J8/dA/FO/al55726.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast