Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauge Tech Question

455Rocket
    Alright guys...
    I replaced my orginal SW gauges w/ some VDO units... All work except the temp gauge. The gauge doesn't want to climb above 100 degrees, but I know I'm running around 180 normally by the old gauge
    Wiring is ok b/c the gauge is showing SOMETHING (Just re-wired w/ #12 wire etc... so no probs w/ that)
    A few years ago I remember the engine rebuilder asking me what kind of gauges I had to get a correct replacement sending unit... SO I figure I need another sending unit to match the new gauges.
    Do you concur? Any experence w/ this problem?

YeLLowBoaT
    that would be my guess as well.

You definitely MUST match the gauge to the sender. Just get the correct VDO sender for that gauge.

455Rocket
    I'm blindly guessing Rex Marine... but that's my answer for most everything.
    Where oh' where shall I go for said unit?
    P.S. I don't know where else to go for such quick info... Thanks ya' all

Let me know what the VDO gauge number is (or at least the exact temperature range) and I might have a sender for it. VDO discontinued most their marine series stuff a few years back so we no longer carry but I do have some misc senders and stuff left.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Don't know if this'll apply or not, but, when I put my new digital gauges in, it said to NOT USE any thread sealant on the senders as it could alter the grounding path conductivity and make the gauge mis-read. Just a thought.

455Rocket
    Let me know what the VDO gauge number is (or at least the exact temperature range) and I might have a sender for it. VDO discontinued most their marine series stuff a few years back so we no longer carry but I do have some misc senders and stuff left.
    Temp. Range is 100 to 250 degrees:
    The gauge is the standard VDO marine issue... black face, white letters, blue lines... I know Carrera used the series I have as standard issue in the early 90's - As im sure many others did
    Sender looks like it needs a 3/4" NPT hole... it's sitting in a Eldelbrock Torker... so there could be other hole size options i'm not famillar with at this point.
    Any help would be appreciated!

455Rocket
    Don't know if this'll apply or not, but, when I put my new digital gauges in, it said to NOT USE any thread sealant on the senders as it could alter the grounding path conductivity and make the gauge mis-read. Just a thought.
    Point well taken... but the sender worked fine w/ the old gauge a month ago... I used sealant on the #2 and #3 threads only

SmokinLowriderSS
    Point well taken... but the sender worked fine w/ the old gauge a month ago... I used sealant on the #2 and #3 threads only
    Sounds like a miss-match, time for a new sender. :idea:

Not all manufacturers use the same resistance profile for their gauges/senders. What worked with the old may not be correct for the new. It is always a good idea to buy them as matched sets.
    You should really NEVER use sealant on a sending unit that uses its body as a ground path to the engine. Not likely to be your problem in this case but it can cause excessive resistance in the circuit, leading to gauge inaccuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast