Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Crate Motor - 502 Ram Jet ??

KC
    Has any one considered this motor for their boat?
    502hp at 5100
    565 torque at 3200
    over 500 torgue from 2200 to 5200
    max rpm of 5800
    Cheapest I can find is $8199
    KC
    Ram Jet 502
    Copy the part number and click on the prices car to search for the price on the Ram Jet 502.
    P/N 12497323
    Factory Fuel-Injected Big-Block Power
    The recipe is simple; one part attitude, one part driving perfection, one part leading factory technology, and five hundred and two parts hungry rat motor. Ram Jet 502, you either have one, or you want one! When the idea of an all new big block fuel injection system first came up, we all thought it was a good one. When it was proposed that it be integrated with our 502 crate engine, we thought someone had clearly lost their mind. Who could possibly need the awesome, flat, broad torque curve only available with a long runner dry manifold? And who would want the neck-snapping throttle response of MEFI 3 controlled port fuel injectors? And what would be the need for aggressive tunnel ram styling? But then we remembered we're not building 100 mile per gallon, 0 to 60 in a week, eco scooters. We're in the hot rod business! So we called together engine management system experts from GM Powertrain, our own GMPP engineers, and fuel injected race engine builder and GMPP Pro Mod racer Harold Martin. After some great discussions, a little debate, a lot of late nights and 50 gallons of coffee we had an intake manifold design like no other. By leveraging leading fuel management technology, numerous production developed components, the industry standard MEFI 3 controller and the great Ram Jet name from the 50's, the Ram Jet 502 is reality.
    The new undisputed heavy weight champion, the Ram Jet 502, makes 502 horsepower at 5100 rpm and 565 ft.lbs. of torque at 3200 rpm. The instantly throttle responsive Ram Jet 502 drives like no other big block you've ever driven. With over 500 ft. lbs. of torque from 2,200 to 5200 rpm, the Ram Jet 502 is a tire shredding monster making more torque throughout its operating range. This is possible because Ram Jet has a larger plenum and runners than would ever be possible in a carbureted application. This means greater intake efficiency and greater torque without sacrificing driveability. The Ram Jet manifold is so efficient that we're able to make all of this horsepower and torque with a production L98 throttle body assembly, you know, the one that Firebird and Camaro owners always replace when trying to make more power in their 350 engines. It's all about airflow quality, velocity, and fuel and spark management. You'll just have to drive one to appreciate it. If the one-second cold starts, no stalling, instant throttle response, and the solid pull from idle to red line don't convince you that a Ram Jet 502 is for you, then maybe we could interest you in a 100 mile per gallon, 0 to 60 in a week eco scooter.
    The Ram Jet 502 is designed for ease of installation needing only 12V, ground, fuel feed and fuel return to run. Included are an instruction sheet, sirvice manual and diagnostic tool for ease of installation and service. As with any GM Performance Parts Ram Jet engine, an in tank fuel pump is recommended to avoid possible vapor lock. See instruction sheet for fuel pump recommendations. Also included is complete throttle linkage that accepts your production throttle cable and transmission cable. Includes pre-programmed MEFI 3 ECM and wiring harness.
    The Ram Jet manifold stands eleven inches tall as measured from the front and rear "china wall" on the cylinder block. That's just half an inch taller than a typical single plane high rise manifold, Holley carb and air cleaner combo.
    For specific internal engine specifications, refer to the ZZ502/502.

Jungle Boy
    I know of a couple of guys that have put the 502/502 carb models in the their aluminum jet boats with good results. Crate motors are a good dollar value.

230Stingray
    I've run a carbed version of this motor in a 23 foot Stingray for 3 seasons now. it runs flawless right out of the crate. Other people will tell you otherwise, but they are usually the ones wanting you to spend $15,000+ on one of there engines.

Quite interesting, any marine installation concerns?

KC
    interesting how the ram jet motor looks almost identical to a Mercruiser HP500, except colors!
    teague wrote a short note in the latest powerboat magazine regarding marine use of crate motors.... he says change the exhaust valves at a minimum. so if I can dig up the funds this winter then I am going to buy one, replace the head gaskets with marine type head gaskets, replace the exhaust valves, and install a proper dip stick so that I can suck the oil out of it.
    KC

Jungle Boy
    propless:
    Quite interesting, any marine installation concerns?None. The guys I know that have the 502's have bolted on the marine gear and ran. I have ran a ZZ4 350 as a spare engine for 4 years and must have 200 hrs on it and it has never done me wrong, NEVER. Some folks say to change frost plugs and gaskets, but nobody I know has done it. Save the money and buy a next set of exhaust manifolds or oil cooler.

fat rat
    I know of a 502 thats been running in a jet for 6 years......heads have never been touched, this motor see's a lot of severe duty and hasn't missed a beat yet.
    I do recomend a cam upgrade, It'll really wake this thing up. Good Luck!

Jungle Boy
    fat rat:
    I know of a 502 thats been running in a jet for 6 years......heads have never been touched, this motor see's a lot of severe duty and hasn't missed a beat yet.
    I do recomend a cam upgrade, It'll really wake this thing up. Good Luck!What cam did they put in? I have a couple of freinds that may be interested in that over the winter.

cyclone
    I'm about to drop a carbed 502/502 into my Rogers. Out of the crate it made 530hp with no mods. I was impressed, especially when it only costs $6K for the deluxe version.
    I'm replacing a 455 Olds with it. Anyone got the parts i need for the conversion? I'd like a rail kit and the rear bell housing, water pump cover etc. thanks!

gnarley
    KC:
    teague wrote a short note in the latest powerboat magazine regarding marine use of crate motors.... he says change the exhaust valves at a minimum. KCWhy did he say to change the valves??? & Replace them with what??? Stainless? Titanium???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast