Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo-400 install in hondo

Just purchased a 1981 hondo T-deck runner bottom,18'in length.This is my first boat.Motor is a 427 bbc producing about 500 hp.I have a turbo-400 built up nicely and would like to install it.If anyone has done this,it would really be nice to see some pictures.Does the motor mounting plate need to be special? Will the angle of the motor need to be changed? How do I know if the drive line is aligned properly? Any help appreciated. I will post some pics of the boat as soon as I figure it out.

Gunslinger,
    Welcome to the forumns. I just sold what was my first boat. It was a 76 Hondo sprint bottom.
    As far as the turbo 400 I have never run one in a flat. Alot of guy's in the forumn's have, you should get some advise.
    I would highly recomend hooking up with a local v-driver in your area. I wasted alot of time & money on my boat until I got some help.
    Personaly, I would not run the turbo 400. The added weight & reliability pretty much kept me away from the tranny. If you are going to use the boat as a cruizer, the tranny could be a cool deal. If you are building it to be a river racer I would not recommend the tranny.
    Good luck with project. Let me know if you can't find any v-driver's in your area. I know a couple of circle race guy's in so. cal.
    Morg.

superdave013
    I agree with Morg on this one. It is what it is and that's a bad ass race/river race deal. If you put it in reverse you might just sink the thing anyway. You should go to some NJBA races and check out the flats.

flattie
    Yeah Shit can the tranny idea!!!!
    I have seen boats with straight gears walk all over other v-drives with trannys.

63stevens
    I would leave the tranny out. It takes 30-40 hp to turn the thing. Wouldn't you rather have that hp at the prop?

CircleJerk
    V-driven flats have enough leaks! Why add another source for very little benefit: A nuetral! TurbolessJerk

wideopen545
    had one in my howard waste of time and money
    just my two cents worth

Gunslinger,
    So now that we have screwed up your plans, What type of use are you going to set up the boat for?
    One of the coolest things about owning a v-drive is to come idling (@ 15 knots) into a cove, take the boat out of gear clean the thing out, grab your favorite beverage & the paddle. Sit on the bow & work the beast into shore. The only people who can understand this is fellow v-drivers. The others, especially jet owners just dont get it.
    Also, the last thing you want to do is put the thing into reverse, give it a little to much throttle @ have your boat sitting on the bottom.
    Let us know what your plan is.
    Morg.

superdave013
    Morg:
    One of the coolest things about owning a v-drive is to come idling (@ 15 knots) into a cove, take the boat out of gear clean the thing out, grab your favorite beverage & the paddle. Sit on the bow & work the beast into shore. The only people who can understand this is fellow v-drivers. The others, especially jet owners just dont get it.
    No need for all of that. I had a Lenco safedrive in mine. It was so nice. It's a clutch with a built in prop release. Most use an air shifter. Mine had a manual shift. I made a slick looking shifter that I mounted on the v-drive. I could just bump it and get around the no wake zone no problem. That was with a blown injected deal and a 37% gear. I pulled up to the RoadRunner many times with that thing.

GofastRacer
    Well, got to agree with everyone, ditch the 400, they belong in a cruiser!!....
    Dave, you said "Lenco", no comparison to a TH400!!, Lenco's are SWEET!!......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast