I have searched google and cant seem to find this answer. Maybe someone here can help me or point me in the right direction on were to look?
I won a large project with a regular customer at a local University. The other contractor was disqualified for not having the proper certifications they needed. So the customer gave it to me even though I was a higher bid Got to love that....
But during the talk with the customer I am told that my labor rates were much higher. I tell him how can this be? This job is prevailing wage and there is only one rate you can use. (This pisses me off for another reason as 10yr on the job guy makes the same as my 2 month guy. How the hell does that make sense?)
So I call the phone number on the state website with info on prevailing wage. I talk to a gentlman and he tells me that is the right rate. I ask how does this make sense. I have a guy with 10 years experience and he makes the same money as a guy just hired with NO experience (laborer). He askes me if i am using the apprentice rates spread sheet at all and proceeds to show me a spredsheet that shows a 40% 50% %60 reduction from the Journeyman pay for an apprentice level tech. I am thinking this is exactally what I need. So I show the spredsheet to my HR gal and she says we dont have an apprenticship program so we cant use those rates. I say says who and she says the Apprentice program director.!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
The Union contractor I bid aganst was able to put two Journeyman on the job $42hr ea and 4 apprentices at $21 = 6 men total is $164 an hr
My non Union guys all have to use the Prevailing wage rate on the spredsheet $42hr at 6 men that is $252 an hr.
Why the hell cant I have apprentices or diffrent levels of wages?? IS THIS THE USA STILL??? HOW CAN THEY DO THIS SHIT???
Now SOMONE tell me how a tech that pulls cable out of high school and gets paid $14hr regular can go to $42 an hour and have that make any sense?????
If I am bidding dollar for dollar on a job and the STUPID state wants to pay these rates I dont mind paying my guys?? I still make my money. But in a bid situation I am loosing margin agains the Unions and this is not right....
ANY thoughts ideas ANYTHING would be VERY appreciated..