Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From $14hr to $42.... WTF Prevailing wage Question.

WetWillie
    I have searched google and cant seem to find this answer. Maybe someone here can help me or point me in the right direction on were to look?
    I won a large project with a regular customer at a local University. The other contractor was disqualified for not having the proper certifications they needed. So the customer gave it to me even though I was a higher bid Got to love that....
    But during the talk with the customer I am told that my labor rates were much higher. I tell him how can this be? This job is prevailing wage and there is only one rate you can use. (This pisses me off for another reason as 10yr on the job guy makes the same as my 2 month guy. How the hell does that make sense?)
    So I call the phone number on the state website with info on prevailing wage. I talk to a gentlman and he tells me that is the right rate. I ask how does this make sense. I have a guy with 10 years experience and he makes the same money as a guy just hired with NO experience (laborer). He askes me if i am using the apprentice rates spread sheet at all and proceeds to show me a spredsheet that shows a 40% 50% %60 reduction from the Journeyman pay for an apprentice level tech. I am thinking this is exactally what I need. So I show the spredsheet to my HR gal and she says we dont have an apprenticship program so we cant use those rates. I say says who and she says the Apprentice program director.!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    The Union contractor I bid aganst was able to put two Journeyman on the job $42hr ea and 4 apprentices at $21 = 6 men total is $164 an hr
    My non Union guys all have to use the Prevailing wage rate on the spredsheet $42hr at 6 men that is $252 an hr.
    Why the hell cant I have apprentices or diffrent levels of wages?? IS THIS THE USA STILL??? HOW CAN THEY DO THIS SHIT???
    Now SOMONE tell me how a tech that pulls cable out of high school and gets paid $14hr regular can go to $42 an hour and have that make any sense?????
    If I am bidding dollar for dollar on a job and the STUPID state wants to pay these rates I dont mind paying my guys?? I still make my money. But in a bid situation I am loosing margin agains the Unions and this is not right....
    ANY thoughts ideas ANYTHING would be VERY appreciated..

HM
    I'll come pull cable for $42/hour...and I have a college degree, and some other fancy shit.
    But I agree with you...that sucks and is ambiguous. (need a guy with the ability to throw in a word that will professionally confuse your clients to the point of submission?)

boatsnblondes
    Count me in...hell, if it pays, I'll quit the railroad...let me know...and I'm pretty good with words also....
    Blame the unions..theres this movement to make everyone equal..no matter how much time...fight your fight well on this one, won't be the last time you see it..you'll need to draw off this one....

YeLLowBoaT
    Seems kind of odd to me.... might want to talk to the local biz agent of the local chapter of the union... he might no somethings...( if not higher some apprentices from the hall...)
    Then again most trades, the union rules are way out of date...

Outnumbered
    And people wonder why the US auto makers are in trouble Gotta love that Union mentality.

19daytona
    You don't want to hire guys from your local union, I checked with the Ironworkers Union for help for a goverment job I was bidding, You would have to pay the union a fee for using their men, plus pay all their health and welfare costs and the union rate of pay, And the men you get out of the union hiring hall are usually there because no one else wants them.

beach gomer
    Is this your first prevailing wage job?

squirtn20
    Prevalling wage there to protect the unions, I think it is only going to hurt them in the future. This is to keep certain people from our jobs for a fraction of the cost and sending thier wages home, being double that they would make there. you need to figure out were your guys you rate on a apprentice level. you should only need to pay what they are equal to of a union guy. If one guy working for you has 3 years in then he should be paid the same as a third year apprentice.

Miss Perfect
    Welcome to the wonderful world of prevailing wage. I keep telling my boss that I should get paid prevailing wage just for having to deal with the paperwork. If the situation does not seem stupid enough, I've got a better one for you. We are required to pay into the training fund in order to work on these jobs, but there are no apprentices available in our trade......it's a focking joke.
    I know for our trade, there are 2 classifications; workers and finishers. Workers are paid at a higher rate, so that is what we classify our more experienced guys as. You might look to see if there are multiple classifications for your trade.

Baja Big Dog
    HA HA...I love it!!!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast