Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: From $14hr to $42.... WTF Prevailing wage Question.

i dont know how it happens but my dads employes love working at schools instead of 15 they get 40 pretty good deal for them.

Deano
    The Apprentice ratio of the other guy is not right. I think it's at least 4:1.
    You should of had a rate sheet when you bid the project and stated "prevailing or non". I don't understand how you could even consider doing a job that you bid at 14 and hour when your guys are going to make a 40+ package.
    Don't forget about all the employer taxes you're going to pay on the wage too. You might want to talk to the local Union about signing a one job agreement. Instead of giving your empoyees the extra fringe money, it goes to the Union. The real benefeit to you....it's all a write off. OR, you can follow your guys to the bank and have them kick you back half their check I've heard of some guys doing it.
    Good luck on all your certified payroll too .

acatitude
    well wet willy I just retired and if you get a job in sacramento ill pull any cable you want for 42 an hour lol maybe even give a kick back lol....... good luck only in america

Havasu1986
    And people wonder why the US auto makers are in trouble Gotta love that Union mentality.
    Prevailing wage is set up by the state and is mandatory on schools and state projects. The union has nothing to do with it. As a union contractor I stay away from P.W. jobs for this reason. There is way to much work right now to be bidding against non-union companies. My engineers and field guys have been on O.T. for 6 months.

Outnumbered
    Prevailing wage is set up by the state and is mandatory on schools and state projects. The union has nothing to do with it. As a union contractor I stay away from P.W. jobs for this reason. There is way to much work right now to be bidding against non-union companies. My engineers and field guys have been on O.T. for 6 months.
    Unions have nothing to do with prevailing wage

squirtn20
    The union does not have anything to do with it but prevailing wage is usually union wage.

Havasu1986
    The union does not have anything to do with it but prevailing wage is usually union wage.
    Thanks, Thats what I meant to say.

squirtn20
    I work union and we lose jobs because of this as well. Being laid off kind of makes it hard to pay for $3.00 a gallon gas.

Deano
    I work union and we lose jobs because of this as well. Being laid off kind of makes it hard to pay for $3.00 a gallon gas.
    There really isn't any reason for a union company to loose a prevailing wage job. It's cheaper for them to do than a non-union company.

2007 Laveycraft 2750 highvoltagehands's Avatar
    Prevailing wage is paid on all federal and state projects (except in non-union "right to work" states like AZ,TX...). It was designed to level the bidding field and insure that government projects would be built properly with skilled labor(UNION JOURNEYMAN). It is equal to the local unions journeyman wage rate and must be paid to all hands, except for apprentices enrolled in a state approved training program. California has the largest, most productive and highest paid UNION workforce in the country, making it the 7th largest economy in the world.
    IBEW LU#1245 Powerlineman
    American by birth. Union by choice.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast