Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: From $14hr to $42.... WTF Prevailing wage Question.

Havasu1986
    Prevailing wage is paid on all federal and state projects (except in non-union "right to work" states like AZ,TX...). It was designed to level the bidding field and insure that government projects would be built properly with skilled labor(UNION JOURNEYMAN). It is equal to the local unions journeyman wage rate and must be paid to all hands, except for apprentices enrolled in a state approved training program. California has the largest, most productive and highest paid UNION workforce in the country, making it the 7th largest economy in the world.
    IBEW LU#1245 Powerlineman
    American by birth. Union by choice.
    Well said brother
    Fire Sprinklers LU # 709

Racey
    Didnt we just go over this on the 'Unions - What's your Opinion?' thread
    What a bunch of BS, i'd be pissed

rrrr
    Well said brother
    Fire Sprinklers LU # 709
    Did you enjoy your two weeks off?

Havasu1986
    No..This is a prevailing wage discussion. Which involves both union and non union.

Racer277
    Much of the info on here is correct.
    Sorry Willie, you don't have an apprentice program. This is one of the benefits of a union company bidding the jobs, they can use apprentices depending on the work force, you cannot.
    The union company that bids may also get a stipend from the union hall to help them pay their guys, you won't get that.
    These are some of the benefits for a union company and union member.
    The apprentice program ensures that this $25/hour guy has some kind of training, although not yet journeyman.
    The prevailaing wage tries to ensure that at $40/hour you will have a skilled laborer, simply because you would be crazy (as an employer) to pay a guy that without qualifications.
    Just make sure you are using signal tech wages for the cable pullers, electrical wages for the conduit installers. Signal techs shouldn't get paid full electricians wages, unless they are doing electrical work, but they aren't qualified for that.

Sleek316
    I have searched google and cant seem to find this answer. Maybe someone here can help me or point me in the right direction on were to look?
    I won a large project with a regular customer at a local University. The other contractor was disqualified for not having the proper certifications they needed. So the customer gave it to me even though I was a higher bid Got to love that....
    But during the talk with the customer I am told that my labor rates were much higher. I tell him how can this be? This job is prevailing wage and there is only one rate you can use. (This pisses me off for another reason as 10yr on the job guy makes the same as my 2 month guy. How the hell does that make sense?)
    So I call the phone number on the state website with info on prevailing wage. I talk to a gentlman and he tells me that is the right rate. I ask how does this make sense. I have a guy with 10 years experience and he makes the same money as a guy just hired with NO experience (laborer). He askes me if i am using the apprentice rates spread sheet at all and proceeds to show me a spredsheet that shows a 40% 50% %60 reduction from the Journeyman pay for an apprentice level tech. I am thinking this is exactally what I need. So I show the spredsheet to my HR gal and she says we dont have an apprenticship program so we cant use those rates. I say says who and she says the Apprentice program director.!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    The Union contractor I bid aganst was able to put two Journeyman on the job $42hr ea and 4 apprentices at $21 = 6 men total is $164 an hr
    My non Union guys all have to use the Prevailing wage rate on the spredsheet $42hr at 6 men that is $252 an hr.
    Why the hell cant I have apprentices or diffrent levels of wages?? IS THIS THE USA STILL??? HOW CAN THEY DO THIS SHIT???
    Now SOMONE tell me how a tech that pulls cable out of high school and gets paid $14hr regular can go to $42 an hour and have that make any sense?????
    If I am bidding dollar for dollar on a job and the STUPID state wants to pay these rates I dont mind paying my guys?? I still make my money. But in a bid situation I am loosing margin agains the Unions and this is not right....
    ANY thoughts ideas ANYTHING would be VERY appreciated..
    Join AGC (Association of General Contractors)
    You register your apprentices to qualify for thier apprentiship program.
    PS They have to go to the classes to maintain status
    Good luck

2007 Laveycraft 2750 highvoltagehands's Avatar
    BS, Pissed? Of course you are.
    Like a clueless ratt hoping to get on a prevailing wage job.

And people wonder why the US auto makers are in trouble Gotta love that Union mentality.
    The unions have nothing to do with this its the bussiness people that dont want to pay there people so they are moving out of the co. It has nothing to do with the union it self.

Holland
    I have searched google and cant seem to find this answer. Maybe someone here can help me or point me in the right direction on were to look?
    I won a large project with a regular customer at a local University. The other contractor was disqualified for not having the proper certifications they needed. So the customer gave it to me even though I was a higher bid Got to love that....
    But during the talk with the customer I am told that my labor rates were much higher. I tell him how can this be? This job is prevailing wage and there is only one rate you can use. (This pisses me off for another reason as 10yr on the job guy makes the same as my 2 month guy. How the hell does that make sense?)
    So I call the phone number on the state website with info on prevailing wage. I talk to a gentlman and he tells me that is the right rate. I ask how does this make sense. I have a guy with 10 years experience and he makes the same money as a guy just hired with NO experience (laborer). He askes me if i am using the apprentice rates spread sheet at all and proceeds to show me a spredsheet that shows a 40% 50% %60 reduction from the Journeyman pay for an apprentice level tech. I am thinking this is exactally what I need. So I show the spredsheet to my HR gal and she says we dont have an apprenticship program so we cant use those rates. I say says who and she says the Apprentice program director.!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    The Union contractor I bid aganst was able to put two Journeyman on the job $42hr ea and 4 apprentices at $21 = 6 men total is $164 an hr
    My non Union guys all have to use the Prevailing wage rate on the spredsheet $42hr at 6 men that is $252 an hr.
    Why the hell cant I have apprentices or diffrent levels of wages?? IS THIS THE USA STILL??? HOW CAN THEY DO THIS SHIT???
    Now SOMONE tell me how a tech that pulls cable out of high school and gets paid $14hr regular can go to $42 an hour and have that make any sense?????
    If I am bidding dollar for dollar on a job and the STUPID state wants to pay these rates I dont mind paying my guys?? I still make my money. But in a bid situation I am loosing margin agains the Unions and this is not right....
    ANY thoughts ideas ANYTHING would be VERY appreciated..
    Good Luck... THat is the fault of the unions trying to keep non union contractors out! THey allow 5 apprentices at minimum wage to one Journeyman at PW rates. Non union contractors can get qualified for an apprenticeship program theu ABC. That is the only way you can get your entire crew out of the journey wage bracket...
    Here is another trick. Your supervisors that are on site (Or off) that do not use tools... do not have to be paid the PW rates. If one of the 5 following things occur, then rates have to apply.
    on the site, if your employee is 1. construction 2. destruction 3. installation 4. maintenance 5. service of building or equipment, then PW applies.
    We do alot of PW work in the automation field. All my guys get the inside wireman rate of 46.50 per hour. They dont complain. As long as it is bid in there... it is a win win. PM me if you have other questions.

dirty old man
    Thats why our company will not do prevailing wage jobs

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast