Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: From $14hr to $42.... WTF Prevailing wage Question.

squirtn20
    Okay sorry, its not protecting the unions but they are in cahoots with the big cities. It's hard to get the licenses you need to work in the big cities. Prevailing wages usually ensures quality work. so the rates are set to that of what union would be. This keeps the "scabs" from doing it for half price with south of the border labor, whatver the trade may be. Can't have buildings blowing up, burning down, or a turd floating down the hall.

djunkie
    Unions suck!!!!! Ya thats it.

Havasu1986
    Try yelling that down at the ship yard and see what happens.

2007 Laveycraft 2750 highvoltagehands's Avatar
    I just forwarded your post over to the ILWU. Pumping gas at the marina is the only dock work you'll be doing.

plaster dave
    I think what he is trying to saying is who is the union to say we don’t have our own apprenticeship in non union companies. There are different pay scales in union shop and non union shop for your level of knowledge so your pay should reflect it. Before you get piss off my uncle is a union guy my grandfather was a union rep and worker so I understand both sides.

djunkie
    Try yelling that down at the ship yard and see what happens.
    I just forwarded your post over to the ILWU. Pumping gas at the marina is the only dock work you'll be doing.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't get fired from that job if I tried.

Faceaz
    My 02. is prevailing wage sucks. On PW jobs I have to pay a labor company nearly $60.00 an hour just to have a guy walk around & pick up trash, help with SWPPP, etc. If we go signatory with the union for a PW job, we can pay the $39 direct without mark-ups. To get the same work done on a private job, it costs about 15.00 per hour. You can take your chances. I know of a landscaper who pays his guys $8 per hr on PW jobs - if he gets caught he can face some pretty hefty fines.
    Plus as mentioned before, there's a lot more paperwork with the Certified Pay-roll & the employees must be paid weekly. Some owners (LAUSD) are real sticklers on this, others don't even look.
    If you know in advance & build it into the bid, there's a lot of money to be had in PW & there's less paperwork with the billings. Private owners want all the subcontractor billings, releases, etc. On the PW side, I bill on percentages only - much easier.

Racer277
    Willie, keep pushing your Bicsi agenda.
    They are trying to get their apprenticeship program to be equal (if not better). Up here, the unions try to use the Bicsi installer program for their low-voltage curriculum.
    They are also trying to get the standards passed as codes. If they do that, you won't be able to find enough workers...

Outnumbered
    I don't care what you call it;anytime you are paying someone more than the market rate you are using a union concept/mentality regardless if it is an actual union or the government. If the unions would have never created the concept I doubt the PW would exist as it does today.

Havasu1986
    I don't care what you call it;anytime you are paying someone more than the market rate you are using a union concept/mentality regardless if it is an actual union or the government. If the unions would have never created the concept I doubt the PW would exist as it does today.
    I see why you live in a right to work state.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast