Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: From $14hr to $42.... WTF Prevailing wage Question.

Outnumbered
    I see why you live in a right to work state.
    All I am saying is it is foolish to pay these guys more than the market will bear when it is bringing down companies like Ford, Dodge, and GM.
    Mark my words, in 10 years all the big three will be foreign owned. They will clean house and turn the companies around or simply take them overseas.
    Unions were once a very good thing. Now they are abused in many, but not all, cases.

Havasu1986
    All I am saying is it is foolish to pay these guys more than the market will bear when it is bringing down companies like Ford, Dodge, and GM.
    Mark my words, in 10 years all the big three will be foreign owned. They will clean house and turn the companies around or simply take them overseas.
    Unions were once a very good thing. Now they are abused in many, but not all, cases.
    My dad worked at G.M. South Gate, CA. for 35 years until they closed it in the 80's. He is 84 now. Thank god for his pension and benefits, so I don't have to worry about it. I don't think now would be a good time to be in the UAW either. Now construction unions is a different story. BTW I still get my family discount when I buy G.M.

djunkie
    I see why you live in a right to work state.

Outnumbered
    My dad worked at G.M. South Gate, CA. for 35 years until they closed it in the 80's. He is 84 now. Thank god for his pension and benefits, so I don't have to worry about it. I don't think now would be a good time to be in the UAW either. Now construction unions is a different story. BTW I still get my family discount when I buy G.M.
    That was then, this is...

im union been in one for24 years but there is evil everywhere...my dads a union glazer(installed glass in high rise building)for 30+ years local 636 he isnt going to be getting a pension well he is getting one but not the 3 or 4k a month of rest of his life but 1100.00 for 2 years because the local embezeled the money.thnaks got for SS and the fact he started his own shop and put away a couple of bucks to live on.

Havasu1986
    Here I highlighted it for you outnumbered.

vmjtc3
    You don't want to hire guys from your local union, I checked with the Ironworkers Union for help for a goverment job I was bidding, You would have to pay the union a fee for using their men, plus pay all their health and welfare costs and the union rate of pay, And the men you get out of the union hiring hall are usually there because no one else wants them.
    Fock you. Get a clue !
    John<-------------- Proud union member IBEW 357

wolfie

I was waiting to see when you'd pop in.

WetWillie
    All you have to do is keep the Union guys off me. Rate is decent unless the board goes PW....
    I'll come pull cable for $42/hour...and I have a college degree, and some other fancy shit.
    But I agree with you...that sucks and is ambiguous. (need a guy with the ability to throw in a word that will professionally confuse your clients to the point of submission?)

WetWillie
    Not my first PW job by a long shot! I have always paid my guys full pop without thinking about it. I just won this deal even though I was high bidder. Purchasing department said I was much higher on labor and hours.
    We compared notes and found out the Union contrator I was bidding against was using a lower hourly rate then mine!!
    I looked again at the PW sheet and found we have one rate to choose from :devil: and its a higher rate. So my company being Non union has to use a rate higher then the Union guys!!! :idea: Should like price fixing to me!!
    I just want to be able to decide my burden rate and quote my jobs!!! I dont want to be told to use a rate and then have the Unions use a lower rate loop hole to get an advantage!!!
    make sense???
    Is this your first prevailing wage job?