Thread: intake manifold question

84 camaroturbo
    i have a stock 350 in my 22 foot out drive and i was wondering if a edelbrock performer intake and a msd box and distributer would help out at all. the boat places hear say dont waste my money. but the manifold and the distributer i already have. i know they help on a car but they tell me they are very different. so not sure what to do .
    thanks
    jamie

Moneypitt
    Sure, you'll see a difference. Is it worth it, IMO No...........One difference you will see is a non stock boat that will possibly loose some of it's relyabilty, read some of the threads about the aftermarket ignition problems experienced by others here. If you want to see a difference start saving your money, find parts and pieces and slowly build another engine with a high performance slant to it. Then, pull your perfectly good engine out, install the hot rod and have fun as long as it lasts. Then put the stocker back in and continue boating when it gives up. There is a reason boats come with stockers, same as a production car, they last..........Don't fix it if it aint broke!!......MP

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    Sure, you'll see a difference. Is it worth it, IMO No...........One difference you will see is a non stock boat that will possibly loose some of it's relyabilty, read some of the threads about the aftermarket ignition problems experienced by others here. If you want to see a difference start saving your money, find parts and pieces and slowly build another engine with a high performance slant to it. Then, pull your perfectly good engine out, install the hot rod and have fun as long as it lasts. Then put the stocker back in and continue boating when it gives up. There is a reason boats come with stockers, same as a production car, they last..........Don't fix it if it aint broke!!......MP
    MoneyPitt, Your better then Doc.Phil. I was going to say Doc. Laura, but I didn't want to ruin your reputation

SmokinLowriderSS
    From the manifold, yea, likely maybe ... 10 HP, 15? MIGHT be noticable, and I don't think reliability would suffer there, with a dual-plane anyhow such as a Edelbrock Performer. You don't have enough motor IMO for a single plane, especially in a boat.
    The MSD box setup, will only improve things if your current system is not working right. I have seen a lot of folks have trouble with MSD boxes. I'm not gonna (intentionally) cause a flaming here, nor am I gonna try trashing MSD. My SUSPICION is that a lot of the troubles folks have had have been some problem with the instalation, not the hardware. Not trying to say folks here can't put an ignition together either, but everybody has bad days & slips up someplace once in a while. I'm replacing my old worn out Prestilite points (perfect for 27 years and still raising turnkey hell) distrib with a ready-to-run MSD Distrib this winter (no box).

84 camaroturbo
    their is nothing wrong with my ignition. i know that it helped my car out so i just figured it would help my boat. if i do the msd it will be the marine box and distributer. the intake is a dual plane the the rpm is idle to 5500 it has been sitting in storage for about three years. i have nothing to put it on so i just figured if it would help might as well use it thanks for all the info

lilrick
    From the manifold, yea, likely maybe ... 10 HP, 15? MIGHT be noticable, and I don't think reliability would suffer there, with a dual-plane anyhow such as a Edelbrock Performer. You don't have enough motor IMO for a single plane, especially in a boat.
    The MSD box setup, will only improve things if your current system is not working right. I have seen a lot of folks have trouble with MSD boxes. I'm not gonna (intentionally) cause a flaming here, nor am I gonna try trashing MSD. My SUSPICION is that a lot of the troubles folks have had have been some problem with the instalation, not the hardware. Not trying to say folks here can't put an ignition together either, but everybody has bad days & slips up someplace once in a while. I'm replacing my old worn out Prestilite points (perfect for 27 years and still raising turnkey hell) distrib with a ready-to-run MSD Distrib this winter (no box).
    I agree.

HammerDown
    ...I'm replacing my old worn out Prestilite points (perfect for 27 years and still raising turnkey hell) distrib with a ready-to-run MSD Distrib this winter (no box).
    MSD RTR distributor...eh.
    If so the module inside can also fail , then the whole distributor must be sent back to MSD for the repair. :notam:
    It may be primitive but...my Mallory dual point has never let me down yet.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Agreed...I am simply ready to go electronic. The advance springs in my Prestolite are shot which has prompted the change .... no parts available. It is still tight in the shaft bearings with only (estimated) 300 hrs or so on it.

84 camaroturbo
    thanks for all the info i might just put the intake on for the hell of it. i have the msd box but not the distributer so i will probly just leave the stock one on. but their is snow on the ground hear so i am looking for some thing to do for the winter. i thought that would be a good project for a day or two.