Thread: removing an old 12jb pump

uselessgrant
    hey peeps. what is the procedure to completly remove a jet pump? any certain order it must be done or just start yankin bolts?

SmokinLowriderSS
    Basically start from the back. Unbolt the cables, and remove all the nozzle parts, Then the transom adapter (the big boxy part), it just has an o-ring toi thje bowl but gets siliconed sometimes, also to the hull sometimes. Then unbolt the bowl and pull it off, followed by the impeller nut and the impeller. Sometimes an impeller puller is needed, sometimes not. Then I think the shaft and thrust bearing come out foreward on all the pumps, I know they do on an "F" pump, so remove the front plate and pull it out foreward. (helps if the engine isn't in the way) If it is supposed to come out aft, so much the easier. Then unbolt the suction piece from the intake, get it to separate, and then unbolt the intake, which is seated in an epoxy, so then the fun begins.
    Be careful prying and hammering on things, EVERYTHING except the shaft are cast aluminum. A plastic-headed mallet and a few pry tools DO have their uses in splitting gaskets, just use with some care.
    Good luck to ya.
    I'm sure someone with some pump experience with the standard pumps (non E/F) will chime in if the shaft removal is different.

uselessgrant
    Basically start from the back. Unbolt the cables, and remove all the nozzle parts, Then the transom adapter (the big boxy part), it just has an o-ring toi thje bowl but gets siliconed sometimes, also to the hull sometimes. Then unbolt the bowl and pull it off, followed by the impeller nut and the impeller. Sometimes an impeller puller is needed, sometimes not. Then I think the shaft and thrust bearing come out foreward on all the pumps, I know they do on an "F" pump, so remove the front plate and pull it out foreward. (helps if the engine isn't in the way) If it is supposed to come out aft, so much the easier. Then unbolt the suction piece from the intake, get it to separate, and then unbolt the intake, which is seated in an epoxy, so then the fun begins.
    Be careful prying and hammering on things, EVERYTHING except the shaft are cast aluminum. A plastic-headed mallet and a few pry tools DO have their uses in splitting gaskets, just use with some care.
    Good luck to ya.
    I'm sure someone with some pump experience with the standard pumps (non E/F) will chime in if the shaft removal is different.
    can it be pulled out w/out taking all the innards apart ie. impeller and shaft and what not?

Yes, after disconnecting control cables and removing transom adapter, and unbolting suction housing from intake, you can remove it as a complete assembly. That is the way it is normally done.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes, as OS said, the shaft and parts on it can come out with the suction piece, no problem.

uselessgrant
    many thanks now i have to figure out how to get to all the bottom hidden bolts.

Are referring to the bolts that hold the intake to the hull??? Why are you removing the intake?