Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a cituation...

BigDoug
    Tell me if im wrong or right please...................................When Richelle and i detail a customers boat for the first time that i don't know and they say "you didn't do the engine bay area" i tell them "it's a liability issue !! if i pull a wire off accidently and touch something i shouldn't ... then something happens out on the water with a motor issue, i will be the first to blame and have before".
    Most customers don't want me in the engine area which is fine with me cause they would rather clean it themselves.
    I do clean motors when asked after iv'e established a friendship and long term business relationship and we understand each other !!
    Do you feel im wrong for doing this as a protocol, or do you expect a detailer to clean the engine bay.?
    Iv'e been yelled at in the past for doing it and yelled at for not doing it, sometimes i can't win regardless !!...............................Doug

NOTALENT
    I think your doing the right thing for both parties. If it was discussed before hand than I would say do it. Isnt there some type of waiver you can create to not hold you responsible?

Summer LuvN
    Tell me if im wrong or right please...................................When Richelle and i detail a customers boat for the first time that i don't know and they say "you didn't do the engine bay area" i tell them "it's a liability issue !! if i pull a wire off accidently and touch something i shouldn't ... then something happens out on the water with a motor issue, i will be the first to blame and have before".
    Most customers don't want me in the engine area which is fine with me cause they would rather clean it themselves.
    I do clean motors when asked after iv'e established a friendship and long term business relationship and we understand each other !!
    Do you feel im wrong for doing this as a protocol, or do you expect a detailer to clean the engine bay.?
    Iv'e been yelled at in the past for doing it and yelled at for not doing it, sometimes i can't win regardless !!...............................Doug
    I think you would just need to communicate with the client prior to the work being done. If everyone is on the same page less chance for yelling...

Fire Angler
    SOCALDETAIL1 always cleans the engine area!!
    j/k LOL

RaceFace
    Well Doug, I wouldn't expect you to clean the engine compartment....unless I opened it and asked you to clean specific areas (storage on the side of the motor). I also think I know enough about my motors that if something became "unplugged", I can figure it out and fix it. Its one of those "s**t happens" things. You're in a tough position. If I were you, I would ask the customer and have the customer open the hatch and ask exactly what they expect. Just my .02ยข.

BigDoug
    I hear what both of you are saying.....................i came highly recommended to this customer, we got all his info and took care of the job !! he didn't ask questions, just wanted it done for the poker run...... it happened today on one of the big poker boats in Havasu .......................i can only imagine the bilge full of oil and i have to clean it, all the while twisting and turning in a small confined area i pull off a sensor wire to something and he can't fire up his boat for the poker run.......................it'll be my ass !!
    I just try to please all my customers is all !!

duner21
    If they want it done make them sign a waiver. At least you are up front about it and cover yourself. Also it was cool meeting you last weekend at the mobil station!

OCMerrill
    I think your right on. I have a company detail our Yukon every three months. He will not touch the engine compartment unless I sign a waiver.
    Seems he was sued over a car (I know not a boat issue but still the same type deal) that quit in an intersection, another car came through on a green and plugged them. They sued the detailer. He won but was out legal fees and it just tore him up.
    I say stick to your standards. It's what and how you built your business anyway. Right?

OutCole'd
    Plus, what would happen if you were trying to get in the bilge to really clean it out & got stuck?? Who would pay for the fire department to come pull you out?
    Honestly, I would think it's always best to communicate before the detail is done as to the scope of the job, what you include & what you don't and why. I am very pleased with the job you did on my boat Doug and will recommend you highly in the furture.

Fire Angler
    BigDoug,
    I think your doing the right thing. The liability is a HUGE thing not to mention someone blaming you for the boat not operating properly. I myself would have any "New" customer sign a waiver and specify exactly what he wants done.
    AL

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast