Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blew up my drive - what to do next?

bohica
    Chris said the upper gear stack went, who knows the cause. I always do my regular service on the boat. Chris did say that when they do a drive service, they not only change the gear lube and check all the seals, but also inspect the old lube for any metal, a sign that you may be losing a tooth or something. I don't know if all shops do this, but I'll definitely be have Prestige do all my service from now on.

riverracerx
    Just for reference: My drive took a crap on the top because my shifter cable started coming loose. It wasn't fully going into gear and it started shearing the gears just slightly enough to put shavings all over. (Or at least that is what I was told). You couldn't feel it, but it did start getting hard to get into gear. By the time I noticed it was too late.

Not So Fast
    Chris said the upper gear stack went, who knows the cause. I always do my regular service on the boat. Chris did say that when they do a drive service, they not only change the gear lube and check all the seals, but also inspect the old lube for any metal, a sign that you may be losing a tooth or something. I don't know if all shops do this, but I'll definitely be have Prestige do all my service from now on.
    When you say that you do your service do you mean that you personally do it? Theres a lot more to it than just fluid change, that why my cuz does mine. and that incluges pulling the OD and alignment check and check for any other telltale signs of something giving up. Sometimes shit just happens though. Sorrry to hear, hope it works out and Max Machine is the tits, no doubt. NSF

Jbb
    What to do next.................Buy a jet..............

skater40
    Bohica-i agree with taking it to max machine.They are top notch.Gary

GN2RVR
    Max Machine Gets My Vote! Worked On 3 Of My Drives( All Diff Ones)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Thats the best thing you have ever said

Magic34
    Selling the lower unit at a fair price shouldn't be a problem. You could get an easy $2500 out of it and that would offset your cost difference.
    If not using Max Machine, I would go new, sell the used lower for $2500.
    http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16119-en.html

Magic34
    Check out the price on this B1 lower... you can get over $2k for your used one.
    http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o14722-en.html

Tom Brown
    ... and download a bunch of Tom Jones music into the iPod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast