Thread: 1982 3.8 Omc

Coded-Dude
    Well................
    I was talked into purchasing an 82 Galaxie I/O. It was on the side of the road with a sign that read: "$800 OBO."
    The boat belonged to some guy's son, and he(the father) was tired of it being in his backyard.
    (apparently his kid bought some bigger, much slower, boat that he wanted to keep)
    Anywho, he told us it would turn over but not start, and that it probably had a blown head gasket - water in the oil.
    After finally getting some free time to tinker with it, we got it fired up!
    Drained the oil, started it up and ran good oil through it until we got clean oil coming out the pan.
    Although we could only start it once or twice for 30-40 seconds at a time every half hour, as we had no water hook-ups.
    After getting the "gunk" out we decided to hook some water up to it and run it for a few minutes.
    It ran great, but now we have water in the pan again, so we gotta pull it apart to see if we bought a motor with cracked heads
    (instead of blown gaskets)
    So, considering all things, we aren't in bad shape. The hull in in decent shape, but we really just wanted the tandem-axle trailer for our jet boat and the hull for another project
    (making the $600 purchase worthwhile - we didnt' expect much from that motor)
    Oh yeah we also discovered the bucket seats are fibreglass, which will save us money when re-doing the interior of ht other boat!
    But, since it runs we may as well use it while we can.
    This is an 82 V-6 that says USE LEADED or LOW-LEAD FUEL ONLY.
    The fuel in the tanks was bad, so we had to use regular fuel from a can(And some starter fluid) just to fire it up.
    The motor and out-drive BOTH have trim, so any hints/tips on when/why you woudl want to trimm the motor would be much appreciated.

bocco
    What you are seeing as the motor trim is actually THE trim. It's done by raising the back of the motor up and down. The part that looks like trim by a large gear looking thing back by the outdrive is the trailer tilt and it should always be all the way down when running. The trim switch is probably on your shift handle and the tilt switch might be on the dash.

fkboatman
    if a manifold or elbow goes bad you will get water in oil pan, check to see if there is a oil cooler also, if you pull manifold and riser off together set manifold up like its mounted to motor hook up hose on the end of it turn water on and see if water runs out exhaust ports of manifold its either a bad manifold or riser or even just the gasket

Coded-Dude
    good info, thanks for the feedback!
    I won't get a chance to tinker with it again until later this week, but I'll have some pics and progress reports up soon.
    As far as parts go, are online stores the best for this type of motor?
    (old and not necessarily in production anymore)
    We got some plugs from Kragen; the guy took our part number and did some interchangeable search.
    However the plugs he gave us were a bit longer and some of them got smashed by pistons.
    (had to go to West Marine to get the right ones - but its a 30 minute drive each way)
    I'm not even sure if they'll have gaskets, which is what we need, so I am curious as to the easiest most convenient place to get some
    (without having to wait a week for shipping)
    Gonna have to stock up on some Lead Additives as well, because this motor isn't unleaded friendly

bocco
    That 3.8 V6 is a general motors product used in a lot of Buicks and some GMC and Checvy trucks. Most of the parts and gaskets should be the same if you can find a good parts guy at an auto parts store. I'll bet West Marine could also ship a gasket set pretty quick with a phone call.

Coded-Dude
    Well, just found out that the 3800cc v6 is one of the MOST produced engines in history.
    (over 25 million to date) Thats good news for me......
    The bad news:
    I also found out that the Head Gaskets(bought the Head Set Kit, comes with everything) for the Buick/Cheverolet/Pontiac/etc. do NOT fit in an OMC engine. Even though the heads have GM written on them.
    The gaskets are very similar in size, but the hole placement is off just enough to not allow compatibility. I wasted 2 hours, $100, and drove over 60 miles running around picking these parts up.
    Not like it matters we found metal shrapnel and damaged pistons on the "even" side of the motor.
    So, we're just gonna put the old gaskets back on(with plenty of RTV silcone) and run it until it dies.:devil:
    Then, hopefully we can find a LOCAL car engine that will easily swap out. A brief search turned up a few results for the engine($150-200) but they are nowhere near close to me.
    Anywho, if any of you are gonna be at CFW we may need a tow sometime saturday.
    I told the "crew" we may get a good 3 hours of fun out of it....maybe more, maybe less.
    *fingers crossed*
    btw - I have pics, but I need to get them off my buddy's PC(he has no internet)

r erfert
    Well, just found out that the 3800cc v6 is one of the MOST produced engines in history.
    (over 25 million to date) Thats good news for me......
    If it is actually a 3800 (3.8) like in the front wheel drive GM cars....You probably have an intake gasket leak rather than a head gasket problem?
    GM has been having problems with their 60 degree V6 motors from the 3.1 (3100) 3.4 (3400) and on to the 3.8 (3800) forever
    Long run time with water in the oil will result in hydraulic ing the lifters and hanging the valves open longer......could be where the piston marks came from??