Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft for you?

Fiat48
    For those looking for possibly more performance you might consider this camshaft. I believe it would work quite well in a flat, provided you have the proper components. Just a thought and you might want to take a look. This would be a "max effort" unblown camshaft. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1876500929

superdave013
    Why don't you take PayPal? I won't even bid on something unless I can pay that way. No way am I going to a bank for a money order. Paypal is the shit.

Fiat48
    I used to have a Paypal account till I had problems with it, as in unauthorized draining my bank accout. yes, it is nice to pay through Paypal, but not nice to receive as for all the little fees they have. I generally pay for auctions by going to a grocery store or post office and get a money order and send it. But i agree that Paypal is handy for the buyer.

Infomaniac
    Running out of time so you offered it to us huh? Just kidding. That is a big stick man.
    A piece of paper works as good as that Uni-Syn tool. LOL
    I do not take paypal unless the buyer pays the fees. I put in the auction that I will consider paypal after speaking with the buyer.
    I have a bunch of crap for sale also.
    Crap on e-bay
    [ January 11, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

superdave013
    If you keep it a personal deal. The kind that won't take credit cards it does not charge fees. At least I have never noticed any.

Fiat48
    Infomaniac:
    Running out of time so you offered it to us huh? Just kidding. That is a big stick man.
    A piece of paper works as good as that Uni-Syn tool. LOL
    I do not take paypal unless the buyer pays the fees. I put in the auction that I will consider paypal after speaking with the buyer.
    I have a bunch of crap for sale also.
    Crap on e-bay That wasn't why I posted here. Just the more I thought about how similar an altered and a flatbottom engine demands were, the more I thought it might be a killer cam for an unblown flat.
    I tried on Ebay to include that I would accept Paypal as long as the buyer paid the fees. Got a nasty letter from Ebay saying I could not do that. They said you can only charge a shipping and/or "handling" fee and if I did not delete my statement in the auction they would cancel my auctions. Good old Ebay police, where are they when you really need them? Like the time I bought a set of pistons and the seller became "not a registered user" within minutes of the auction end! But I love Ebay and have met some real rood people there overall.
    That 4-71 you got on Ebay would make a nice small block street rod blower. I'm letting a few know about it.

Infomaniac
    Fiat 48 have you ever seen the video Bad Boy Altereds? It is poor quality but shows all the fuel altereds from the beginning to the late 80's. has a lot of the original Fiat Altereds as well. Nanook, Pure Hell Pure Heaven, Willy Borsh etc. I have it on VHS but have not way to make copies.
    I would love to have an altered myself. Deep planted seed. In the late 60's my mom says the fuel altereds were my favorites. Too young to remember much.
    [ January 11, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

LeE ss13
    Fiat48 ...
    You say it is a custom Erson Cam. Like John, Babe, or Sig Erson, or the company that now owns the name Erson Cams ??? The reason I say that is because I have been looking for John for a while. I suspect that he is in Hawaii. Anyway, that is an interesting grind. The numbers are certainly big, but why the 108 lobe centers ???? Was it used with a long exhaust collector?

Fiat48
    Yes, I have that tape and also Bad Boy Alterds II which even has me in it. Sounds like you need to come to Bakersfield, Ca for the March meet where you can see many of these old cars, a few with original drivers. The Fiat body I have is one of the original "Mob" bodys, glassed together in sections. Fuel altereds are kinda like the fuel flats were. You're never quite sure where they are going to go, hopefully straight, but always a thrill. There is a group back your way that used to call themselves "Outlaw Altereds". They are quite a group and put on a good show.

Fiat48
    LeE ss13:
    Fiat48 ...
    You say it is a custom Erson Cam. Like John, Babe, or Sig Erson, or the company that now owns the name Erson Cams ??? The reason I say that is because I have been looking for John for a while. I suspect that he is in Hawaii. Anyway, that is an interesting grind. The numbers are certainly big, but why the 108 lobe centers ???? Was it used with a long exhaust collector? The cam has a history and is kind of unique. I met a guy who's father was a well known camshaft grinder back in the 60's & 70's. As far as the son was concerned, there was no "secret" grinds for a camshaft. Since he was really into Physics, Newtons Law and the like, he designed a computer program for selecting the proper camshaft for a racing engine. He gave me a copy to use as long as I would sincerely report back to him with my results. The program was called "Controlled Induction." I don't know if that program is still available today as I couldn't find anything on the web. I do know he sold a lot of programs to a lot of builders in the 80's.
    Anyway, I played with the program and was quite interested in it and decided to follow some of the parameters the program was giving me. The simple things I tried like intake port length and exhaust port lengths seemed to work. So, I had Erson grind the camshaft for me since he is 30 miles from my home. They agreed with the camshaft specs I gave them, but wanted to change the lobe spacing to 108 instead of the 110 that the program had said. Their experience with cars with a 2 speed transmission (powerglide) had shown 108 worked best. I finally agreed and the ground the camshaft. Erson also stated that if I was not happy with the cam and felt it was due to it being 108 instead of 110, that they would grind another one for free. I believe that was John Steele that said that as he was operations manager at the time.
    The throttle response and burnouts were the noticeable improvement. 1/4 throttle burnouts were easy. And the car ran 7.90's when it had a best of 8.40 with all other camshafts tried.
    This program speced the camshaft a lot more than total lift, duration, etc. It specified the valve being open X amount at X amount of rotation. In other words, you cannot compare this 284 degree intake duration to another camshaft's 284 duration. The ramps are different on this camshaft.
    I have continued to use this program and had no trouble having Erson grind my blown alcohol cams which naturally have a different spec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast