Thread: Driveline issue solved

1968Droptop
    Just thought I'd update you guys, and pass on some info. about my driveline issues.
    After talking with Jerry Skagen (a local N/W boat builder in the 70's) and reading the post by Duane, a single u-joint setup is a viable option. Providing I take the time to align everything perfect. Another option is using a Lenco coupler. I spoke with Lenco today. They can make a driveline as short as 3", and still be able to hold 1000HP. The benefits of the Lenco unit include; being able to disconnect the pump from the engine anytime I want to, a little more 'forgiveness' on the engine alignment/flexing of the boat under operation, and they told me despite being able to take big power, the first thing that'll wear if alignment is less than perfect is the coupler itself, not the engine/pump bearings.
    The cost is $560 for the unit. I know it's not the cheapest, but it is a viable solution if a real short driveline is needed.

21TUNL
    problem solved,, now what is next??
    You got latest pix?
    Im sooo ready to run.... I think everyone here in the N.W. is.
    This liquid sun is gettn me down.

Hot damn Droppy. Congrats.....Did they discuss heat issues? I've read about the Lencos and like the idea but I was curious about the things I've read about them building heat? Have you (or anybody else here) got any pics of one? What's required to disconnect one? Give me a call on my cell if you dont want to post it here.....

1968Droptop
    They didn'y say anything about heat, but I didn't ask either. There web site is www.lencoracing.com. If you click on couplers, you'll see a whole bunch of them. I'll dial you up on the cell n a bit.

Hey Droppy,
    I don't know nuthin about them but I've seen a few posts like this one below and just wanna make sure you're aware of some folks thoughts on these setups.
    See ya at Sleepys
    It is not recommended to run a Lenco drive shaft in a lake application. As stated earlier, they get TOO HOT! They will eventually turn into red iron and loose their strength. Look at the picture above, that one has already started to do that on the pump shaft yoke.

Murray PE 857
    Who was that smart guy that recommended Lenco couplers when you were first discussing this.................oh yeah,.................that was me.

Duane HTP
    Lenco couplers work great in a drag boat, but are NOT recommended for lake or river use. They will eventually get hot on long runs and turn into Red Iron. Once that happens, they loose their srtength. I know, I put one through the bottom of an Eliminator Daytona 19 one time. Sure, someone will probably come on here now and say I run one all the time, But that's not the normal safe way to run a lake boat. Just a little advise from experience.

79centurion
    Why wouldnt they work? I mean it isnt much different then the splines of a driveshaft on a car or truck. I could see if it isnt aligned there would be wear and heat problems, but if you aligned it I cant really see a problem? I have never used one, but maybe I am wrong.
    Dan

BrendellaJet
    In a car driveline the universals are taking the brunt of the beating. They are lubricated and are able to spread the load over a far greater area.
    What Duane says is true. Regardless of the reasoning behind the Lenco's failing, they will ultimately fail in a vast majority of the applications running them.

1968Droptop
    Thanks guys for sharing your concerns regarding the Lenco unit. But as it turns out I'm not going to use one after all . My buddy has a `76 19' Sunchaser he's about to sell. It's got the short style coupler I was originally looking for. After lot's of measurements, we detirmined it's PERFECT for my blown Daytona application. After I buttered him up for a bit, and fed him a LOT of beer, he agreed to let me switch my longer style driveline for his shorter unit. His Sunchaser has a mile of room in back, and the 2" longer shaft won't hurt a thing. I will be running a double driveline now.