Thread: Headers & Horse Power

Lightning
    I posted this in Gear Head, but thought i would post it here as well...
    The setup.... I have a 468 in the boat with Merlin Heads, roller rockers, etc... 9.6:1, Holley 850, stock Marine Power manifolds. The motor was built by Tom Papp - he estimated it to be around 550hp.
    Original motor was a Marine Power 454P - 390 hp.
    I am considering adding a set of headers, however don't know if it's worth the money. When Tom built my motor, he said that the cam and piston change alone on the same base motor (different customer) as mine showed about 90hp on the dyno.
    The question: How much horse power do you think a set of headers (Lightning Headers) will add to the equation?

YeLLowBoaT
    that depends on lots of factors... I would guess 10-30 hp would put you in the range.

Hustler
    How you doing Ari? It's kinda hard to say but when I put the lightnings on my old 396 (had logs) I gained 3-4 hundred rpm more.

Lightning
    How you doing Ari? It's kinda hard to say but when I put the lightnings on my old 396 (had logs) I gained 3-4 hundred rpm more.
    Hey Joe, things are going well. How about with you?

Hustler
    Things are great. We plan on making alot more trips this year since lil Joe is older and can handle the heat ba little better.
    If you have questions on the headers call Jan @ lighting he'll tell you everyting you need to know.

GUGS102
    I bumped another thread for you to read. In my situation I went from 3.5" logs to TT rewarders and picked up 500RPM and almost 6 MPH with no other mods. If you have the good heads and cam to flow the numbers, then the headers will help.
    Gugs

Lightning
    Things are great. We plan on making alot more trips this year since lil Joe is older and can handle the heat ba little better.
    If you have questions on the headers call Jan @ lighting he'll tell you everyting you need to know.
    I called and talked to him yesterday, nice guy. Let me know when you are ready to hit up Martinez Lake... Maybe we can plan to meet up at the river one of these weekends.

Hustler
    I would love to hit up Martinez it's just the lodging thing now with the kid is kind of a pain.

Lightning
    I would love to hit up Martinez it's just the lodging thing now with the kid is kind of a pain.
    I have some solutions for you, let me know when you are ready.

Hustler
    I have some solutions for you, let me know when you are ready.
    Will do.
    So did Jan give you any estimate as to how much better his headers are compaired to what you have?