Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subs wired to amp recommendations

Nostalgic Spectra
    I have two 10" 250w rms 4 ohm dual voice coil subs. Need opinions if I should run a mono amp wiring the subs in series, or run them on a two channel amp each sub to each channel. Is there any advantages in running them a certain way? More power? Better sounding? Also with each sub having a 100-250w rms what is the min. recommended wattage for each amp if I go eitherway? FYI i have not chosen what amp manu. to run yet.
    Forgive me if these are stupid questions, just want to make sure all goes well.
    Thanks in advanced.

Havasu Hangin'
    It really depends on the amp. There's really no value to running stereo- I'd get a Class D mono sub amp, and wire the ohm on the subs load to max it out.

thmper321
    If you go with a monoblock then wire the coils and the woofers in parallel. The dual 4 ohm subs will net you 1 ohm. Just make sure the amp is 1 ohm stable. Also if you have a pair of subs that are rated at 250 watts rms then I would recommend at least a 500 watt RMS amp if not more. You can't go wrong with too much power. Woofers are damaged more from pushing a smaller amp too hard.
    If you wire the voice coils up parallel and then wire the subs together in series you will have a 4 ohm load. Then you get a 2 channel amp that will put out 500 watts RMS bridge mono.
    Both will work but the 2 channel amp will give you a little better sound quality.

Redwing247
    I have a 2 ch amp with 2 x 200 watts rms and 1 dual voice coils sub 200 watt per coil rms. What is the best way to set it up if I want to use only 1 sub ?

dumbandyoung
    The only stupid question is the one not asked.
    Looks lke there is some good advice here. I would call Mark from Marks Auto Sound. He's my Audio Consultant. and if I fock anything up hes my audio doctor. Tell him Dennis Ferncez sent you.
    Marksautosound.com

thmper321
    I have a 2 ch amp with 2 x 200 watts rms and 1 dual voice coils sub 200 watt per coil rms. What is the best way to set it up if I want to use only 1 sub ?
    Most 2 channel amps are designed to work at 4 ohms mono. If you are hooking up a 2 channel amp up to a single sub it would have to be a single 4 ohm voice coil woofer or a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub. Do not wire the amp stereo to a dual voice coil woofer. Also do not wire a single coil on the woofer as it will burn up the sub.

KREGER
    How about running both channels @ 180 out from each other in Stereo and see what happens while each channel fights it out as you crank up the sub levels!! :devil:

thmper321
    How about running both channels @ 180 out from each other in Stereo and see what happens while each channel fights it out as you crank up the sub levels!! :devil:
    What would burn up first the woofer or the amp?? :idea:
    I should try that sometime when I have some spare equipment laying around.

Cheap Thrills
    If it were two mono signals run a perfect 180 out of phase would there be silence ?
    Carry on..
    C.T. :wink:

thmper321
    If it were two mono signals run a perfect 180 out of phase would there be silence ?
    Carry on..
    C.T. :wink:
    except in stereo in which you would get the opposite of a center channel....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast