Thread: engine run on

dwmmatt23
    i have an engine run on problem, ive tried the diode inline but after turning over twice it got very very hot, to hot to touch, so i removed it. the diode was facing the correct way and it was the one painless wiring recommended. any other ideas to try?

Where did you install it? What size was it? MSD recommends a 1Amp/100volt diode. Here's a link to MSD page showing correct installation (http://msdignition.com/1troub1.htm#runon).
    What engine?
    What ignition?
    What alternator?

Jetaholic
    You might also want to check the timing...you might have it too far advanced. Or you might be running too low a fuel octane.

jmherbert
    You might also want to check the timing...you might have it too far advanced. Or you might be running too low a fuel octane.
    Too far retarded will do the same thing. It can make the exhaust valves glow and ignite the fuel. I know this first hand. I got some bad advice from a tech, can't remember if it was a Dart tech or MSD. I think it was MSD.

Taylorman
    The diode did not work for me either. I had run on problem when i had the exciter wire and the MSD switched power wire connected to the same terminal on my key switch. I had to separate the two and put them on separate terminals. My key switch has two terminals that get power with the key on. That cured it. Its the exciter wire backfeeding and sending power to your MSD box that is probably the problem, if you have an MSD box that is.