Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best AMPS

justchillin
    Wow...that system sounds like it kills..................................... fish!
    LOL it would probably Kill the Catfish at the bottom of the lake .
    I looked at the alpine PDX line and they look pretty good. I have also been checking out MTX TA 7804 for mids,and TA7801 for sub. Anyone have any experience with the MTX's or are the Alpine's a better choice?

riverbound
    I dont have any room for them besides the engine compartment.
    In the 10+ years I did audio and boat systems there was not a single boat where I was forced to put amps in the engine compartment.

riverbound
    Agreed on the McIntosh. These amps are priced to be seen as well as heard.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...glow_large.jpg
    Though I don't think Fidelity is as a major concern in most marine applications as SPL. I would go with a more cost effective alternative.
    Alpine PDX seems to be a popular choice. However I am not sure of any amplifiers ability to withstand the harsh operating enviroment such as an Engine/Bilge area. There's alot of heat and moisture there, not something Most electronics aren't fond of.
    With that said I believe most any mid end components Ie. Alpine , JL, Fosgate, Soundstream ( one of my favs) ect. should give satisfactory results. Stay away from the low end knock offs.
    Good Luck.
    C.T. :wink:
    He asked for the best
    I have seen MANY boats using the PDX amps with great success. I will be using the PDX amps in my upcoming truck system.

AZJD
    In the 10+ years I did audio and boat systems there was not a single boat where I was forced to put amps in the engine compartment.
    There is always room somewhere!

justchillin
    This is true but because of the subs and other speakers I am not willing to give up the only storage I have left. I have a 205 bayliner open bow and there is not much room for storage as is.

Cheap Thrills
    Yep.
    If you're mounting the subs in a Ported, Bandpass, Slotted, enclosure then mount the amp inside it. The air moving in and out the enclosure will help keep it cool. Doesn't work so well with sealed enclosures.
    C.T. :wink:

talbert450r
    I am running two Orion HCCA's in my engine compartment, no problems. My engine compartment stays very cool, probably cooler then if I trapped them behind the interior with no air flow like alot of people do.

justchillin
    I am running two Orion HCCA's in my engine compartment, no problems. My engine compartment stays very cool, probably cooler then if I trapped them behind the interior with no air flow like alot of people do.
    I was thinking the same thing. every time i open the engine compartment it is not very hot. I believe my amp was just too tired and took a crap. it was a 1992 model i think. I am probably going to pull the plug on the alpine PDX.

Mr. Naudio
    somebody is thinking (cooler then if I trapped them behind the interior with no air flow)
    It is the biggest most vented area in most boats (after cockpit)
    Dont get me wrong most times its a last resort(because of the stigma) to go there but done it many times.With no probs

AZJD
    This is true but because of the subs and other speakers I am not willing to give up the only storage I have left. I have a 205 bayliner open bow and there is not much room for storage as is.
    What r u running for an engine? A six? That thing probably doesn't cause the engine compartment to get as hot so you might be alright.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast