Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $330 to pull drive & nothing wrong???

FilthyHaBIT
    3 hours labor at $110 per hour to pull my Bravo XR and take only the top half apart. We are looking to find the culprit for a obviuos rattling clacking sound when boat is at idle. You gotta get down near the drive to hear it though. Everything looks like new.....gimble, bearings, u joint and gear teeth. The mechanics working on it have heard it and put the stethascope to it and said it was a gimble startin to go. Boat has no more than 100 hours on it. Drive oil was a little low and looked burnt to them. They said that might cause sound. I replace drive oil with Redline Heavy shockproof gear oil......still clacking and rattling but I must say it shifts much SMOOTHER than with what ever the factory fill was. I bought the Redline oil at the raceshop for $37 so the total job has cost about $370 and I still don't know if the drive is comprimized. Does anyone else have a noisy XR at idle??? Could it be something in the motor that is echoing out the top o the drive??? Thank in advance for info....:idea:

Viper_Mike
    My 28 Daytona with twin XR's has a bad rattle at idle since new. After alot of checking and worry I am pretty sure it is the metal flappers in the exhaust ends. I changed to Rex marine mufflers with the same flappers and still have the noise only at idle.
    Mike.

acatitude
    If im not mistaken the gimble gets greased from a zerk fitting on the side of i think its the gimble housing.. make sure your u joint is greased also, but im sure they checked that. good luck. hell if the drive was off a gimble bearing is only 100 bucks and right there. just change the damn thing and hope..

2forcefull
    Ive seen where the yoke is going bad, not the ujoint but the part it goes in.
    merc made the ujoints super heavyduty with huge needle bearings, now the week link is the yoke, it starts getting clearence that makes it click

welk2party
    If it is making that sound only out of the water, then it is the exhaust flappers more than likely. Mine are loud as hell when out of the water.

FilthyHaBIT
    If it is making that sound only out of the water, then it is the exhaust flappers more than likely. Mine are loud as hell when out of the water.
    By exhaust flappers Im guessing you mean the plastic flaps over the exhaust ports???? I have no flappers...the boat has the exhaust ported out the sides so I can really hear the drive with no exhaust to drown it out..

Viper_Mike
    My original exhaust ends had a rubber flapper on the outside and a metal flapper inside the pipe. The new mufflers only have the metal flapper inside the pipe. It does have a rubber edging on it, but at idle it rattles open and closed. Just a little rpm and it's quiet.
    Does your sound change going in or out of gear?
    Does it change with engine rpm?

TIMINATOR
    Grease the spline in the coupler(the newer ones have grease zerks), see if the noise goes away or changes. Also, the u-joints can cause the noise. TIMINATOR

FilthyHaBIT
    My original exhaust ends had a rubber flapper on the outside and a metal flapper inside the pipe. The new mufflers only have the metal flapper inside the pipe. It does have a rubber edging on it, but at idle it rattles open and closed. Just a little rpm and it's quiet.
    Does your sound change going in or out of gear?
    Does it change with engine rpm?
    Sound doesn't change going into gear but it does vanish when we give it so me throttle...it's looking more and more like it may just be a noisy XR or that yolk has some play. I'd expect the mechanics would of checked that but I really don't know about the guy I took it to. I'm glad I was there when he was adding the redline oil to the drive because I actually watched him climb into the motor compartment and pour REdline gear oil into my POWERSTEERING resivore. I had to show him where the drive oil container was....behind the motor on a 525. He felt like an ass and had to pump out and refill the powersteering. WOW

DCBob
    Ive seen where the yoke is going bad, not the ujoint but the part it goes in.
    merc made the ujoints super heavyduty with huge needle bearings, now the week link is the yoke, it starts getting clearence that makes it click
    Yep...what he said :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast