Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 Flooding issue

HondoJet76
    hey im new to this forum. i have a 76 hondo with 455 olds in, i recently replaced the carb with a 650 holley because i thought that was the reason i was having a problem. The problem i keep having is its flooding out and wont stay running when the fuel pump is connected but when i disconnect the fuel pump and start it holding the throttle open to get rid of the flood it will start and hold idle run perfect until it runs out of gas. then i hook the fuel pump back up and it will start right up and run as long as im in the throttle but wont hold idle ive been told its timing but is there anything else that would cause this

Beer-30
    Easy.
    You already found the answer.
    The fuel pump is pushing the fuel too hard. The pressure is high enough to push the fuel past the float pressure that is supposed to keep it from flooding.
    Regulate your pressure.

HondoJet76
    thats what i was thinking too how would i go about fixing that?

Beer-30
    Purchase a nice regulator. Don't waste your time with a cheapie. Put it in-line between your pump and the carb. Hang a gauge on it, either mounted permanently to the reg or just a temporary. Adjust to 6 or 7 pounds and call it a day.

HondoJet76
    ok i just went out to my boat to check if i had one and i already have a holley regulator on it but it doesnt have a gauge on it... how would i go about adjusting that?

Beer-30
    First of all, get a gauge. If you go too low, you will lean the motor and kill all the internals. If you have a regulator, you have to check the setting with some sort of gauge. Once again, either mounted or temp. There should be a plug filling the hole on the reg where a gauge would go. Most all of them have a port for mounting a gauge.
    If you locate the port, take the plug out (fuel will spill) and take it with you to the auto parts store. Find a fuel pressure gauge that has the same threads. Carefully put some teflon tape on the threads and tighten the gauge into the reg.
    Is the fuel pump electric or mechanical?

Beer-30
    If it is a two-port, like this one,
    http://www.holley.com/data/products/...ge12-501v2.jpg
    you may need to put a "T" inline somewhere. Either right at the outlet of the reg or at the inlet of the carb, whichever best suits your setup. The "T" will give you a port for the gauge.

HondoJet76
    ya thats what i have, the fuel pump is electric...once i get the gauge im assuming the top screw is the adjusment screw?

Moneypitt
    ya thats what i have, the fuel pump is electric...once i get the gauge im assuming the top screw is the adjusment screw?
    Yes, but the regulator must be set while flowing, kinda like an oxy/acel welding gauge......Also, using an electric pump you might want to look into a "bypass" type regulator. If the pump remains deadheaded too long it will over heat and fail. A bypass type allows the cooling fuel to circulate through the pump and dump what you don't need back to the tank........MP

Beer-30
    Ah. Holley electric pump. That explains your pressure. I don't think there is a Holley pump alive that puts out less than 14 psi at full boogie.
    A bypass reg is the best and will save you from buying several more pumps. It you are running a 650 carb, you obviously won't be using a whole lot of fuel. The pump will be pushing against itself quite hard in a normal regulator application.
    The bypass type takes a return line back to the tank - or at least back to the inlet of the pump. The volume and pressure required to provide the pressure you dial in is maintained a the carb. The excess is bypassed and returned to the tank. This constant re-circulation keeps the pump flowing freely and thus it runs cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast