Motor basics:
1986 Schiada with a 468 BBC with a 6/71 and twin holley 650's(I think). The carbs have not been touched. Not sure when the last rebuild was (if ever). Fuel lines run from twin tanks to a selector valve, through a Fram HP1 filter to both mechanical and electric fuel pumps. Pumps tie back together into one line running to a T that has a regulator T feeding the primaries. Fuel line continues to a second regulator that T's to feed the secondaries. Fuel pressure line is on the regulator for the primaries. Lately I've been having a hard start issue when warm. I have to crank the motor for a good 10-15 seconds before it will light off. When cold it starts immediately.
What happened:
Running on Havasu yesterday from the city to Havasu Springs. Boat is running great. Solid 20 minute run. Near the pump station it starts cutting out like its running out of gas. Both tanks are over 1/2 full. Engine stalls completely.
I start cranking it over and notice the fuel pressure is climbing. Normally at 7-8#, it climbs to 10 and 11 as I'm cranking. The boat cranks and cranks, giving the occasional sputter but never lighting off. When cranking once I mash the throttle, the pressure drops to 8 or so and quickly climbs back to 11. I checked the fuel filter - clean with no water or anything. I try adjusting the regulator but the pressure won't drop. I adjust it way out and it drops a pound or two but creeps back up. Keep cranking - same sputter but no start. Batteries getting weak - I get a tow from 05Schiada (Thanks Steve!).
This morning I turned the key to check the fuel pressure and its showing 4-5#. Looks like the adjustment from yesterday finally took hold. I haven't tried to start it yet.
So where do I start? Me thinks something is plugged/broken/stuck/worn/etc. in the carbs. Besides the carbs, anything else it could be?
Thanks!
-Justin