Thread: What do I need to replace an output shaft seal on a bravo 3

Invisible Sun
    It's only got 48 hours on it. I must have wrapped a fishing line or something. I know what I'm doing on cars, but I've never done any outdrive work before. Is there any special tools involved? Any crutial torques I need to be aware of? I was told it was about a 5 to 6 hour job. That relates to about 3 if you know what you are doing in my book. Any insight would be helpful.
    S

BDMar
    It's only got 48 hours on it. I must have wrapped a fishing line or something. I know what I'm doing on cars, but I've never done any outdrive work before. Is there any special tools involved? Any crutial torques I need to be aware of? I was told it was about a 5 to 6 hour job. That relates to about 3 if you know what you are doing in my book. Any insight would be helpful.
    S
    I am assuming you mean the propshaft seals. The Bravo 3 has two counter rotating propshafts. Yes special tools and critical rolling torques. About a 3 hour job and one of those better suited to a Certified Merc. Technician.

Invisible Sun
    Thanks. I'll find someone to take care of it for me.

Beer-30
    I would first be finding out WHY you need a seal after 48 hours. Mine has around 220 hours with no seals. Just had it off and all is nice and tight. To spend money on replacing before finding out why could be a costly enterprise. I would assume it will be $300-500 to repair, as outdrives are time-intensive. If you end up spending that kind of money every 48 hours, boating will lose its appeal.

Invisible Sun
    I would first be finding out WHY you need a seal after 48 hours. Mine has around 220 hours with no seals. Just had it off and all is nice and tight. To spend money on replacing before finding out why could be a costly enterprise. I would assume it will be $300-500 to repair, as outdrives are time-intensive. If you end up spending that kind of money every 48 hours, boating will lose its appeal.
    I couldn't agree more. I need to find someone to dig in and figure out what's going on.