Thread: HELP, Drive oil in bottom of boat?????

Shack
    I have a 2000 Advantage party cat w/ bravo 3
    So first off it's hard to see anything! lol
    But i had quite a bit of drive oil below the engine after taking her out this weekend. Not a pool of it. but enough to take notice. the remote reservoir is at the low spot. is there a comon place the drive will leak at? it only has 165 hours on it.
    This is my first sterndrive so i know nothing please help!

Jerrys59
    Sounds like the front seal in the upper might be leaking

Shack
    Sounds like the front seal in the upper might be leaking
    Thanks for the response. what causes that?

Beer-30
    Hopefully, your problem is the same as mine. If it is not this or the bottle itself, then it is a seal in the front of the drive, which will be pricey.
    Check around the bottle and the low-level sender. If it or the hose is dripping there, you found it. If not;
    Follow the line from the reservoir to the transom plate. See if it is wet anywhere along. Mine ended up being the o-ring for the thru-transom fitting.
    At the end of the hose, there is a plastic tube that goes through the transom assembly and gets the fluid to the drive. The hose actually connects to a plastic 90* swivel fitting. That swivel fitting spins on an o-ring that seals the oil from getting inside the boat.
    The swivel fitting is #5, and Mr. O-ring is #3:
    http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/PXI...ON/2258_x2.gif
    I purchased parts #1 thru #7. While I was in there, I figured I might as well do the hose, too. I didn't need to replace the whole fitting (#1), so I still have that on the shelf for future use. I also purchased that so I could see how the swivel attached and what the components consisted of. It definitely helped and the whole setup was like $30.
    From the right side of the bilge, you can shine a flashlight on the swivel fitting and see if it is wet around the area. Mine had a visible drip. It is possible to replace said fitting and o-ring without removing the whole steering setup. It would be easier with it removed, though. I just took off the water inlet hose, as it was right next to the fitting.

Jerrys59
    I had oil in the driveshaft bellows. Mine was starting to clank when I took it out of forward gear. The upper was about to explode on me. Its in the shop
    for a replace of everything. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ :sqeyes:

Shack
    Beer-30,
    Thanks, i was looking for some sort of diagram like that. Man, i hope that's all it is?
    I'll try checking it tonight. i'll let you know what i come up with.

Shack
    Hopefully, your problem is the same as mine. If it is not this or the bottle itself, then it is a seal in the front of the drive, which will be pricey.
    Check around the bottle and the low-level sender. If it or the hose is dripping there, you found it. If not;
    Follow the line from the reservoir to the transom plate. See if it is wet anywhere along. Mine ended up being the o-ring for the thru-transom fitting.
    At the end of the hose, there is a plastic tube that goes through the transom assembly and gets the fluid to the drive. The hose actually connects to a plastic 90* swivel fitting. That swivel fitting spins on an o-ring that seals the oil from getting inside the boat.
    The swivel fitting is #5, and Mr. O-ring is #3:
    http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/PXI...ON/2258_x2.gif
    I purchased parts #1 thru #7. While I was in there, I figured I might as well do the hose, too. I didn't need to replace the whole fitting (#1), so I still have that on the shelf for future use. I also purchased that so I could see how the swivel attached and what the components consisted of. It definitely helped and the whole setup was like $30.
    From the right side of the bilge, you can shine a flashlight on the swivel fitting and see if it is wet around the area. Mine had a visible drip. It is possible to replace said fitting and o-ring without removing the whole steering setup. It would be easier with it removed, though. I just took off the water inlet hose, as it was right next to the fitting.
    Well, it looks like that's what it is. i can totally see a little pool of drive oil right around the 90. but man that's going to be a biznach to replace
    I guess it beats the alternative
    Thanks for your help and the diagram!

Beer-30
    Yes, it is a biatch. You will bend your arm(s) in ways you never thought you could. But, it can be done. I did it.
    Do yourself a favor and get the whole thing, like I did. You get to see exactly how it goes on/comes off. Takes alot of the work out of it.