Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v-drive with a velvet drive??.

david_396
    Has anyone done this with the below componets:
    Velvet drive transmission, model #72, made by Borg Warner, with 1 to 1 final drive. C. Crusader Marine V drive, also with a 1 to 1 final drive, and 8 degree final angle,
    flywheel and Edelbrock aluminum bellhousing
    have young children now and 69 Sanger has no inout box just direct drive .
    was going to use an power glide but thought this might work and be lighter/more compact also. any comments, besides get a family boat!

DUCKY
    I run a very similar setup in my 18 footer. I have the same velvet drive, in front of a BBC, coupled to a 12 deg Casale V-drive The powerglide would be a waste, I had one in my last v-drive and first gear was completely useless.
    The only draw back to the Velvet is the weight, but in a family ski boat, who cares. It is MUCH heavier (about 100lbs) than a PG or TH400. After this, I would never own another v-drive without neutral and reverse. It makes life so much easier!!
    [ January 12, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: DUCKY ]

Boatski
    I ran a Velvet Drive with a Hallccaft V-Drive in my flattie. I also had small kids. We had the flattie 16 years and never had any problems with the trans. This is a good solid setup and you can't go wrong.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Ducky, how can the Velvet-Drive be a #100 pounds heavier than a transmission? eek!

superdave013
    My only thoughts is about the 1 to 1 ratio in the v drive. Don't you want some kind of overdrive in there?
    [ January 13, 2003, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Stab-n-Steer
    DUCKY:
    I run a very similar setup in my 18 footer. I have the same velvet drive, in front of a BBC, coupled to a 12 deg Casale V-drive The powerglide would be a waste, I had one in my last v-drive and first gear was completely useless.
    The only draw back to the Velvet is the weight, but in a family ski boat, who cares. It is MUCH heavier (about 100lbs) than a PG or TH400. After this, I would never own another v-drive without neutral and reverse. It makes life so much easier!! Ducky,
    No offence, but a 72C Velvet drive weighs 109 lbs TOTAL (71C weighs 95 lbs) Go to http://www.boatswainslocker.com/prod...ive/71_72.html to verify this. (This is a great website about velvet drives) I'm sure a PG or a turbo weighs more...
    David,
    I would recommend the velvet drive for your application. It takes up much less room than a auto tranny. As SuperDave says, wouldn't you want some OD in your v-drive, maybe around 12-15%?
    S&S

david_396
    thanks for all the info. will look into this swap david

DUCKY
    The "100lbs" was just a guess. But I have had both, and the velvet drive is heavier. It has a cast iron case, vs. the power glide which is aluminum.

MoJetBoPar
    I bought a 68 Rayson Craft 18' J-hull with a B/B Chrysler 440 wedge last August. It has a 72C velvet-drive and it's hooked up to an old style Casale. The in-out box is locked in with a metal strap and it has about a 1.12-1.15 ratio. I'm guessing it's a 12 degree set-up.
    This boat even has *column shift*. It appears to be very original as far as the rigging goes.

Thunderbutt
    david_396:
    Has anyone done this with the below componets:
    Velvet drive transmission, model #72, made by Borg Warner, with 1 to 1 final drive. C. Crusader Marine V drive, also with a 1 to 1 final drive, and 8 degree final angle,
    flywheel and Edelbrock aluminum bellhousing
    have young children now and 69 Sanger has no inout box just direct drive .
    was going to use an power glide but thought this might work and be lighter/more compact also. any comments, besides get a family boat! David 396, If you don't have a Velvet. Drive I have one I'll sell you. It's in the shop now being rebuilt. I'm coming to Ca in Feb and I can bring it with me. I'll make you a deal you shouldn't refuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast