Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business owners a question?

drtywhat
    For those of you that own your business:
    What is better for purchasing vehicles and tax write offs,
    1. leasing a company truck what is the advantage?
    or
    2. purchasing a company truck what is the advantage?
    all for tax reasons
    And should it be bought under my compnay name or personally?
    Jeff

Old school Ultra
    I always lease my trucks, I plan on running them 4-5 years and selling them private party, you have less of a down payment with a lease and you don't pay all the sales tax up front you pay tax monthly, My lease's are 15% down 48 payments and 10% residual, I have always been right-side up at about 40-44 months.

drtywhat
    what kind of annual mileage do write in to your leases?

Old school Ultra
    We write them with 15k, It kinda doesn't make a difference because you are not giving them back to the leasing company, What kind of trucks are you leasing? Mine are F650 Flatbeds, My last were over 150k miles and I sold them for double my payoff.... try to figure out the math and get your residual and then look on truck trader for 4 year old trucks and see what they are selling for.....

BrendellaJet
    Do a capital lease. Same benefits as buying(make sure you get the one dollar buyout), plus it allows you to take advantage of section 179 deductions(advanced depreciation rates for tax purposes).

ChumpChange
    For those of you that own your business:
    What is better for purchasing vehicles and tax write offs,
    1. leasing a company truck what is the advantage?
    or
    2. purchasing a company truck what is the advantage?
    all for tax reasons
    And should it be bought under my compnay name or personally?
    Jeff
    Talk to your CPA. That's the best advice.
    When you purchase, you get to write of the depreciation. There are many different depreciation schedules including benefiting from Tax Code 179 and the bonus depreciation that it has been offering over the past couple of years. Not sure if that was renewed for 2007 though.
    When leaseing, you need to think on whether or not you will be turning in the vehicle or buying it out. With a $1 buyout, it's just like a purchase. You write off the depreciation. With leases such as a FMV or 10% option. You get no depreciation write off but you expense the payment because you are technically renting the vehicle. How many miles do you put on your vehicle. There are a lot of questions that need to be answered to find what is best for you and your company.
    My pitch: We offer unlimited miles on ALL our leases whether it be FMV, 10% or any other end valuation.

BrendellaJet
    Talk to your CPA. That's the best advice.
    When you purchase, you get to write of the depreciation. There are many different depreciation schedules including benefiting from Tax Code 179 and the bonus depreciation that it has been offering over the past couple of years. Not sure if that was renewed for 2007 though.
    When leaseing, you need to think on whether or not you will be turning in the vehicle or buying it out. With a $1 buyout, it's just like a purchase. You write off the depreciation. With capital leases such as a FMV or 10% option. You get no depreciation write off but you expense the payment because you are technically renting the vehicle. How many miles do you put on your vehicle. There are a lot of questions that need to be answered to find what is best for you and your company.
    My pitch: We offer unlimited miles on ALL our leases whether it be FMV, 10% or any other end valuation.
    Under a capital lease the asset is "capitalized". Capitalize the asset that is effectively yours & ammortize the liability as you pay(not expensed) this allows the depreciation...

ChumpChange
    Let's get to the downpayment benefits. Generally when you purchase by loan, a bank will want to see a down payment of about 20%.
    When you lease or go through an equipment finance company, you can finance 100% of the purchase price, tax, and anything you will be putting in or on that truck. There is no money out of pocket.

ChumpChange
    Under a capital lease the asset is "capitalized". Capitalize the asset that is effectively yours & ammortize the liability as you pay(not expensed) this allows the depreciation...
    I was hoping I got to that correction prior to somebody quoting me.

OCMerrill
    Not knowing many facts about your biz...What I did was;
    When I purchased my Box trucks (used) I expensed the entire amount and took the write off in one lump sum.
    I think last year was it for that though so you’re back to depreciation over time now. This was a Bush stimulate package deal. I purchased 4 vehicles under those guidelines. Helped taxes somewhat.
    Very common in a commercial lease is a dollar buy out at the end or one with a very low residual. The lender really does not want it back. 100% business vehicle is a 100% write off.
    You can also claim miles but its either/or not both. Miles is near .40 per this year I think.
    Consult your CPA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast