Thread: Hi Torque IMI starter

BrendellaJet
    There are two connections on this thing & I dont have any instructions. The first is the Battery cable post, the other I assume is the excitor connection coming from the key. Is this correct?
    Can I pickup power for the ignition switch from the large post on the starter or should I go straight to the battery?
    Should I run a remote solenoid? Starter is hugging the oil pan and I am concerned with heat problems...
    Thanks!

BrendellaJet
    10 views and not one comment? C'mon guys!

Fiat48
    There are two connections on this thing & I dont have any instructions. The first is the Battery cable post, the other I assume is the excitor connection coming from the key. Is this correct?
    Can I pickup power for the ignition switch from the large post on the starter or should I go straight to the battery?
    Should I run a remote solenoid? Starter is hugging the oil pan and I am concerned with heat problems...
    Thanks!
    Yes.
    Either.
    Not needed.
    Did you know the nose can be rotated and change the postion of the solonoid for clearance?

BrendellaJet
    Thanks Fiat!
    Yeah, I played around and clocked the starter to differnt positions. With my rail kit and oil pan there was only one way it was going in.

Moneypitt
    Carry a common starter and a spare ring gear/flexplate, you'll need them sooner or later.........MP

GofastRacer
    Carry a common starter
    Yeah, as long as the pan is notched for it!..

Fiat48
    Have had no trouble with IMI which is based off a toyota starter. Have broken many Tilton's and similar copies that are based of Nissan Sentra starters.

GofastRacer
    Have had no trouble with IMI which is based off a toyota starter. Have broken many Tilton's and similar copies that are based of Nissan Sentra starters.
    And as long as they are "setup" right!..

BrendellaJet
    And as long as they are "setup" right!..
    It was bolt in and requred no shimming. Im not gonna buy another IMI so I can get running again, Ill just always run up river! A stock starter is not going to work in this environment.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...igging_006.jpg

GofastRacer
    It was bolt in and requred no shimming. Im not gonna buy another IMI so I can get running again, Ill just always run up river! A stock starter is not going to work in this environment.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...igging_006.jpg
    Well as long as you checked clearances between the gear and flexplate when engaged and if you have the right clearance between the gear and flexplate when the gear is retrackeded, I just went thru a fiasco on that shit!..