Thread: dominator pump question

BBFnordic
    My Dominator 12s keeps pushing the grease seal out of the front of the pump. At first it was leaking grease, so I pulled the bearing retainer off and seen that the seal was cocked sideways. I took the seal out cleaned everything and put a little bit of weather striping adheasive to help hold the seal in. Took the boat out for a cruise, run it for about 5 min. and stoped to take a look at the seal and it was almost pushed all the way out!!! By the way the surface on the yoke is in good shape no pits or grooves at all. what would be causing this to happen? Its going to drive me crazy!!

79centurion
    bearing bad, or maybe shaft out of round
    Dan

BBFnordic
    Brandnew shaft, bearing, impeller, wear ring

Blown Away
    The suction seal is install the wrong way,both seals on each end of the bearing should have the spings facing the impellor.This allows the over flow grease to exit instead of pushing the front seal out.

Try a new seal, your old one may have lost its grip.

BBFnordic
    Blown, are you sure the seal goes in that way, honestly, I dont know which way it goes but the Seloc jet drive manual says that the springs or 'LIP' face the bearing.

IMPATIENT 1
    i built my dom 12 yesterday and i'm positive both seal springs face the impellor. the rear 1 facing that way so the shaft can slide thru without flipping out the seal plus it allows excess grease pressure to escape.check and make sure the rear seal is facing the right direction while your replacing the frt seal

slick440
    Don't they make those seals...one that you can collapse with your hand and another that has a steel insert in it. I just put a ratchet on my pump and had to replace those collapsable seals with the ones that has the steel in it, to keep the oil in the ratchet. Just a thought.......

BBFnordic
    Well... I pulled the pump out today, tore it apart, and put the seal in the other way. Both seals were in good shape, well, they should be there brand new! Anyway, thanks everyone for your input, it helped me out alot...I hope I'll be taking it out for a test run in a day or so but i'll keep everyone posted.