Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound right??? 90 mph Challenger??

QuickJet
    A friend of mine has asked me to look into a boat that he might be buying. It's an 18' 1979 Challenger with a 468 BBC and a new Dominator pump. Everything sounded fine until the seller swore up and down that the boat runs between 88-90 mph. I know a guy who has actually seen it run and he said it runs hard, even with the engine cover and through transoms. Supposedly it's taken out a few weekend warriors at Folsom and CFW.
    Has anyone seen it before? Maybe raced it? Looks like the pefect sleeper. Are those speeds even possable with that hull and engine? It's in NOr Cal and I won't be able to go check it out until the end of the month so I was hopping to get a little heads up on it before then.
    Here is a pic that he sent me:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...Challenger.jpg

If it is listed on Ebay it should run that fast....
    it seems that any boat listed on there runs a good
    20-30 mph faster than normal.
    Personally I don't believe it would run even close to that.

GUGS102
    We have a 79 challenger and with the 461, pump set back, only 14" of the boat in the water it ran 78 with dry rewarders.
    I'd ask for a ride first. Unless there are a couple of hair dryers on the logs, I say BS. Maybe with a huge blue bottle.
    Tell your buddy it sounds good and never let him know any different, that way he'll think he's running 90
    Gugs

MudPumper
    Mine ran about 78 with mild 468 and stage 1.5 Dominator. No shoe/no rideplate/no bottom work. Is it possible, Yes. Is it likely, not without alot of pump work, a decent amount of power and some bottom work.

W.O.T
    i have a 79 challenger with a built 468 and pump and im running low 80's. i dont see that thing going 90? id like to see it on gps. i really like my challenger though.

LuckyDaze
    that looks just like the boat I grew up in. My pop's boat was made out of Kevlar and I don't think it rand more than 70 or so. But back then it seemed fast. I had a ride in it recently with the new owner and it feels slow as sh!t compared to back when I was growing up. They are great hulls though, a lot of fun to drive and they look bitchin!
    ~Brian

MAXIMUS
    Quikie my buddy sold a challenger with a 13:1 468 tunnel ram deal, stock pump, no shoe ride plate... nada. That boat ran 80 mph on the gps any time he wanted it too. I still don't know how but I guess every once in a while shit happens... :messedup: :messedup:

ck7684
    No clue about the speed, but my bone stock 16' Cobrajet with indmar 454, logs n snails and Berk "F" runs 70 on GPS...

Here is a pic that he sent me:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...Challenger.jpg
    Hmmnn that boat seems strangely familiar..........
    Who in the hell would own a boat with those god awful colors anyway?
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/fil...donefrontt.jpg

squirt'nmyload
    Hmmnn that boat seems strangely familiar..........
    Who in the hell would own a boat with those god awful colors anyway?
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/fil...donefrontt.jpg
    lol.......this is exactly what i saw at pleasant that i was telling you about....engine cover and all!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast