Thread: Syncing twins

Chipster27
    On twin OBs is there some type of electronic control module that keeps the engine RPMs sync'd when you are at any speed above idle? For example, if the throttles are not quite together is there some safety or mechanism built in to the engines that compensates for a minute difference in position? Of course if the throttles were intentionally independently moved they would be "out of" the syncing range.
    Does that make sense?

dicudmore
    NO....your two motors will run very happily at different RPM's all day long...

watergun4u
    if you are worried about the motors not being in sink, what you need to do is remove both cowlings, put shift handle in throttle only postion, if you have a buddy to help it will make it alot easier, but it you do it yourself, move the throttle handle to half throttle, but before moving handle, make a mark on both throttle cables where they are at before you move them, the move to half throttle, and measure from the mark to the cabe on both motors, if the they are the same, then move to full throttle and measure again, if they are both even again, you well know that both are moving correctly! after doing that do the same thing to the shift cables and see if the are both moving the same distance together, If you have to make any adjustments, remove the cable the needs to be ajusted, from the motor and turn the brass trouin a few turns the way you need more throw,and reinstall and check the cables again to see if all are move full stroke!, then there could be a problem with your carbs, not opening evenly, just a few things for you to check out! and just my .02

Chipster27
    Thanks guys. Not worried about it, just wondering. They seem to be paired up nicely with the sticks side by side. Just wondered if that was luck or electronics.

dicudmore
    Thanks guys. Not worried about it, just wondering. They seem to be paired up nicely with the sticks side by side. Just wondered if that was luck or electronics.
    lol just coincidence...sometimes you'll notice they run dead even, sometimes not

kingsbiship
    That's what the tachometers are for!

Tunnel Vision
    That's what the tachometers are for!
    The Tach's are worthless, just listen to the motors.
    If you drove one looking at the tach's, that's all you would be doing, trying to keep the motors sync'ed. Listen to the motors and enjoy yourself.
    Don't believe me? increase one engine by 100 rpm and you will here the difference. When the motors are sync'ed they sound great.
    TV

Propster
    You can really tell when one is not running right. The tach will be slow on one motor and the good one will drag the slow one along. You can really hear and feel what one is not running right. Sometimes one will run slower because of a different trim setting or weight distribution. If the slower motor is running good, it will sound good and pull hard, even if it is not at the same rpm.
    The problem with having two motors is that you always have a good motor to judge the slow motor. I have been chasing my motors for quite a while. Each time if fix the slow one, it becomes the fast one and then I have to work on the previously better motor to make it as fast as the previously bad motor (if that makes sense).
    It is all good though, as long as it keeps getting faster.

LuckyStrike
    You can really tell when one is not running right. The tach will be slow on one motor and the good one will drag the slow one along. You can really hear and feel what one is not running right. Sometimes one will run slower because of a different trim setting or weight distribution. If the slower motor is running good, it will sound good and pull hard, even if it is not at the same rpm.
    The problem with having two motors is that you always have a good motor to judge the slow motor. I have been chasing my motors for quite a while. Each time if fix the slow one, it becomes the fast one and then I have to work on the previously better motor to make it as fast as the previously bad motor (if that makes sense).
    It is all good though, as long as it keeps getting faster.
    Hey Dave Hows things up in Wash. State..????
    Getting some good boating in????
    Hot as Hell here in AZ look forward to seeing you guys again...
    AJ