Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right to Shoot ???

Liberator TJ1984
    Now it seems I can't turn on the TV or read the paper where someone is getting attacked by dogs somewhere today. I have noticed there are several "Breeders " in my neighborhood that do not have their dogs chained or restrained.....if I have a concealed permit and right to carry , what is the results if I dust one of these bastards that always tries to come after me ?? I mean wouldn't that be Self Defense ? My boy ( 10 ) has to walk past these dogs with his friends to get to a skate park that is less than 100 yards from my house , and there is no fence around the park , so the dogs could go after the kids if something sets them off ......anyone got any insides on the legalities :idea:

SB
    If those dogs step off the owner's property, blast away.

tamalewagon
    I would call Animal Control on these folks. They will hassle these folks into chaining up their dogs and keeping the kids in the neighborhood safe.

HokeySon
    ......anyone got any insides on the legalities :idea:
    good idea to talk to them or call authorities now if you are worried.
    I do not know TX law, but if you are defending someone's life you should be okay.
    Also, dogs are generally considered "property" so you exposure it limited to replacement cost -- no punitive damages or pain and suffering. just like if you shot your nieghbors car.
    California also has an old law, still on the books, that a property owner can kill any loose dog on his own property if he keeps livestock on the property. I would bet TX has something like that too.
    So, maybe, you should buy a sheep and make your son take it with him to the skatepark. If the authorites don't buy that you were defending your son, maybe they will agree you were defending you sheep. Or maybe one of those fainting goats -- it faints, dogs get it -- son runs away - neighborhood gets BBQ goat.

uvindex
    Now it seems I can't turn on the TV or read the paper where someone is getting attacked by dogs somewhere today. I have noticed there are several "Breeders " in my neighborhood that do not have their dogs chained or restrained.....if I have a concealed permit and right to carry , what is the results if I dust one of these bastards that always tries to come after me ?? I mean wouldn't that be Self Defense ? My boy ( 10 ) has to walk past these dogs with his friends to get to a skate park that is less than 100 yards from my house , and there is no fence around the park , so the dogs could go after the kids if something sets them off ......anyone got any insides on the legalities :idea:Of course it's lawful to use your weapon if you fear for your life or are protecting the life of another person. Just be sure that's the case (to save yourself a world of hassles). In other words, shooting a dog because it's a nuisance or running wild isn't the same as shooting it because you're in fear for your life. Hope it doesn't come to that.

phebus
    I'd be concerned where that bullet went after it passed through the dog.

uvindex
    I'd be concerned where that bullet went after it passed through the dog.Anytime a person lawfully discharges a firearm they're supposed to pay attention to what's behind their target as part of the decision to fire -- part of concealed weapon permit training in most places, not to mention common sense.

Liberator TJ1984
    Just trying to get the feedback from others out there , one dog has actually come across the street and tried to nip at my ankle , he got a good whackin' with a skateboard on the noggin but he's still just pretty much a pup , just kinda worried about when they get older . they will snap at just about anyone walking down the street or on bikes , for now I got my boy one of those mace sprays that the mailmen use

phebus
    Anytime a person lawfully discharges a firearm they're supposed to pay attention to what's behind their target as part of the decision to fire -- part of concealed weapon permit training in most places, not to mention common sense.
    I understand that, but when a pit bull has ahold of your left nut, try to practice it.

HokeySon
    for now I got my boy one of those mace sprays that the mailmen use
    So you have defintitely ruled out the sheep idea?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast