Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: '73 Kona Resto build

Wicked Performance Boats
    Hal, I read you post on intake setup. I didn't see where you made sure the intake mounting flange was 4 degrees relitive to the keel line. I've had to grind the rear area, to make the shoe sit on the rear of the shoe right. Pat:idea:

Hey Pat,how's it going.
    I had talked extensivly ,with Jack Mclure,about setting the intake.To make a long story short .He told me not to set the intake with a insturment showing 4*,rather set the front of the intake flush with the keel and the shoe installed with no shims,using a straight edge along the keel to the transom,set the rear of the intake at the shoe area, flush with the staight edge.
    Then to level the intake ,He said to use the outside strakes to measure from and make sure each side of the intake is an equal measurement from each strake.
    All measurements were taken from the bottom of the hull including the centerline taken from the center measurement of the most inner strakes.
    I did have to do some grinding on the intake hole ,on the inside of the hull,to get the depth that I needed with the shoe.
    Just out of curriosity, I did put an angle finder on the keel,marked that as zero,then put the angle finder on the intake flange,and to my surprise,it was right on money at 4*
    Jack is the Man and I felt it best ,infact He insisted,that I follow His instruction's to the letter. He said that if I did ,it would come out right and it did.
    I wish the pictures were still on here ,it would show the entire process that I went through.The only thing I did'nt get a pic of was the angle finder. I wanted to show it exactly how Jack instructed Me on doing it.....Hal

Hey KonaJet74;
    Thank's i have been working on Mine for about two years also.
    I m planning on using a single stage Imron or the like on the bottom and a base/clear on the sides and the top.
    The botton will be a gunnmeatal gray and the sides and top are called spectra blue. The only thing I cant seem to make up My mind about is whether to paint the whole thing a solid blue or make the deck to just behind the dash ,white.That is where I am still undesided. I just want somthing clean and simple.
    If You get a chance ,why don't You throw up some pic's of You'r Kona....Hal

Wicked Performance Boats
    Hey Pat,how's it going.
    I had talked extensivly ,with Jack Mclure,about setting the intake.To make a long story short .He told me not to set the intake with a insturment showing 4*,rather set the front of the intake flush with the keel and the shoe installed with no shims,using a straight edge along the keel to the transom,set the rear of the intake at the shoe area, flush with the staight edge.
    Then to level the intake ,He said to use the outside strakes to measure from and make sure each side of the intake is an equal measurement from each strake.
    All measurements were taken from the bottom of the hull including the centerline taken from the center measurement of the most inner strakes.
    I did have to do some grinding on the intake hole ,on the inside of the hull,to get the depth that I needed with the shoe.
    Just out of curriosity, I did put an angle finder on the keel,marked that as zero,then put the angle finder on the intake flange,and to my surprise,it was right on money at 4*
    Jack is the Man and I felt it best ,infact He insisted,that I follow His instruction's to the letter. He said that if I did ,it would come out right and it did.
    I wish the pictures were still on here ,it would show the entire process that I went through.The only thing I did'nt get a pic of was the angle finder. I wanted to show it exactly how Jack instructed Me on doing it.....Hal
    Thanks Hal, I didn't do it the same way but ended up with the same result. Just checkn you're work. Pat

Hey Pat, thanks,glad You are looking out. I need some one to check My work. I want to make sure I am getting it right.
    I hope that any one who sees somthing questionable ,will speak up. It's all a learning experiance for Me.
    By the way, how is Your boat comming along?
    I got to get out You'r way to throw back some brewskis with You...Hal

Wicked Performance Boats
    Hey Pat, thanks,glad You are looking out. I need some one to check My work. I want to make sure I am getting it right.
    I hope that any one who sees somthing questionable ,will speak up. It's all a learning experiance for Me.
    By the way, how is Your boat comming along?
    I got to get out You'r way to throw back some brewskis with You...Hal
    Hal, The boats about 2/3 rigged will be on the water Memorial Day weekend. Lets get drunk and celebrate!!!!! Pat

Hey Hal! You got your thread back. Too cool and lets hope they can save all the pics you've already posted. You've done a heck of a job. Keep it up

Hey Pat, Name the time and place and Ill be there!
    Thank's John .I am waiting for some callm winds ,so I can spray the bottom.In the mean time In trying to collect part and pieces.
    How is You'r ride comming.Have You got the motor back in it yet?....Hal

How is You'r ride comming.Have You got the motor back in it yet?....Hal
    Close Hal. I'm in the midst of the rail kit install now. At the advice of Pat, I sent my crank out and had a 1/4" key cut 180 out on the snout so I'll be double keyed for the blower pully. Just got the shortblock together last Sunday.
    Tom & Josh hooked me up with some sweet waterjetted plates from my motormount setup and now I'm anxious to get to fine tune them for my application. Theyre a really nice setup if you're looking for a DIY type of setup.
    Good luck and post up some pics of where you are...

Wicked Performance Boats
    At the advice of Pat, I sent my crank out and had a 1/4" key cut 180 out on the snout so I'll be double keyed for the blower pully. Glad you took my advise John. But I woulda towed u back on Labor Day. J/K Getter done!!!!! Pat

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213