Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muffler Recommendation for 502 Gentry Turbo V-Drive

SGettmann
    Need some help here. I have a 21' Schiada V-Drive with a Chevy 502, set up with twin Gentry Turbo System. Currently, I have stanless pipes coming out the turbos. The boat is set up for ski racing, so no through haul exhaust. At idle, I'm coming in at 89 dB. For Idaho and Washington, I stand out like a soar thumb and the lake patrol is on me. I carry around a pink slip that notes 89 dB as proof that I'm legal. I figure if I add mufflers, they'll leave me alone - so I won't have to use the run and hide approach. When I even touch the gas, the 89 dB is shot to hell. Any recommendation on mufflers? Also, anyone have experience with the custom pipe setup, since I'll need to contact someone to get this layed up. Thanks for any suggestions.

haulina29
    PM Obnoxious001 hes the turbo guy .

hottrodder
    I've seen a boat running jacketed straight pipe to the transom with header braces. Looks funny but works and you don't need to cut the transom.

SGettmann
    I've seen a boat running jacketed straight pipe to the transom with header braces. Looks funny but works and you don't need to cut the transom.
    Hottrodder - when you're used to naturally aspirated or blown, a turbo charger is funny looking, especially with all the additional plumbing that is required. Funny looking straight pipe will fit right in with the engine itself.

haulina29
    I use burns stainless on my jrs

SGettmann
    Thanks SuperDave and H29. Huge resource. Also, thanks for the link on Sweet Performance Parts. I have it book marked for stainless fittings.
    I'm a little limited on high performance gear up here in Idaho. I am stoked that I found a powder coat place that does a great job. Just had my local welder fab up a 12' high Gantry Crane that I had powder coated yellow for pulling the motor out of my boat. It came out really nice. It's also modular, so I can take it apart and take it with me to the lake. (in case I decide to buy a backup motor for the long weekends) I would love to get something with a roots blower, but I better focus on buying a barn first. Most people want to buy a house, I want a barn with a loft. Sleep in the loft, play in the shop, that's the good life. This is sort of how my apartment is set up now, parts washer, grinder, vices, and rubber shop flooring throughout the living room. My last girlfriend thought I had issues, she's right.

superdave013
    oh yeah, good thinking on bookmarking that sweet performance site!
    Wait untill you get married. We re-vamped our kitchen. She wanted these Kraftsmaid cabnits with granite counter tops. I wanted brushed stainless cabnits with ball bearing slides and a nice stainless counter top. And I even had a super pimp stainless bench vice picked out and everything.
    She wanted this fancy tile on the floor and I wanted something that looked like the gray epoxy that's in the garage.
    And get this: I wanted to stub a 3/8" compressed air line out next to each elect receptacle and a hose bib next to the fridg. She didn't see the need those items!?! WTF
    lol, lets just say that her kitchen is not that bad!

mondorally
    ...wait untill you get married....
    I'm currently single and haulin' ass on getting my kitchen remodeled - concrete floors, stainless all around, etc. The girlfriend thinks I'm nuts but doesn't have much say yet. I know if there is ever a ring involved I better plan on changing my plans....... :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
    Justin

obnoxious001
    PM Obnoxious001 hes the turbo guy .
    Thanks 29. The real place to check might be some of the Australian ski racing sites, since they all have to run mufflers on their race boats there. Knowing how quiet turbo engines are, I personally might run something that looks like a muffler, with nothing in it. I used to run mine open, quieter than most jet boats, but I guess times are changing. I originally switched to turbos after I got a noise ticket at Parker under 3500 rpm while warming my engine up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast