Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: batteries..

dumbandyoung

Alright, so I got the stereo all done in the boat.
    450 watt amp
    Sub
    4spaekers
    Head
    ...I'm only running 1 Optima Blue top, Is it completely necessary to have another battery. I wont be running it a lot with the boat turned off but, don't wanna end up with a dead battery.
    suggestions please....?

phebus
    I would at the very minimum want another battery so i could isolate the stereo battery from the starting battery. From that point on, you could see what your battery needs are in regards to stereo use, and add batteries if needed.
    In the mean time, I would definately carry a jump start box with you.

dumbandyoung
    Unfortunately, I don't have a jump start box. But Ive got some big jumper cables.

bikerboater
    I've done that a couple of times. The CD changer seems to be the big drain in my system. Pretty hard to push start a boat! lol I went the jumper box deal since I can use it around the shop in the off season. You can also get a device that goes on the battery terminal & disconects it when the voltage drops to a certain point, leaveing enough to still start the motor. Overton's has em for about 90 bucks.

Cole Trickle
    Your gonna run into trouble pretty quick with 1 battery. I suggest a second Optima with a perko. set it up so you can charge both batteries while running and then switch to one battery for starting and one for the stereo.
    Nothing worse than being stranded by a battery

dumbandyoung
    Im very lazy and dont feel like doing this before I leave this weekend
    What do you guys think about this method:
    I was thinking of letting the stereo run in my driveway for an hour today, then try and fire up the boat. If it starts.. thats great because it wont be left on for more than 1 hour with out the boat on... If it doesnt start I will be putting in the Perko and additional battery.

duner21
    In the time you let your stereo run you could probably install the perko and extra battery and never have a problem. Why chance it?

dumbandyoung
    In the time you let your stereo run you could probably install the perko and extra battery and never have a problem. Why chance it?
    hahaha! true! But I have to spend an hour driving to go get a matching battery box at Dana, Then go by a switch and battery(another hour). I just dont wanna do it this week.

Cole Trickle
    hahaha! true! But I have to spend an hour driving to go get a matching battery box at Dana, Then go by a switch and battery(another hour). I just dont wanna do it this week.
    Just to be safe.....don't play the stereo until the boat is on the trailer back at the house

sigepmock
    Just to be safe.....don't play the stereo until the boat is on the trailer back at the house
    LOL.... Probably the best advice you've ever given.
    Call JW, ask nice and I bet he'll overnight you everything you need to get a second battery installed. Not worth taking a chance.
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast