Thread: popping noise in tower speakers

Rayndogg99
    The speakers in the tower of my boat and the subwoofer make a constant popping noise no matter what the volume is at when the boat is on. When the boat is off, there's no popping. They are connected to the amp. The other speakers in the boat are connected to the deck and are fine. The guys at the sound shop say they don't know and they really just aren't trying to figure it out. Does anyone know what I can to to solve this problem?

Legal Chemistry
    bad amp / not grounded properly. my $0.02

thmper321
    Could be a bad ground, bad RCA, rca cables run along side the power cable. Also it could be time to change the spark plug wires or even a bad diode in the alternator. If its a popping noise that changes frequency with engine rpm then it might be plug wires. Make sure the Radio ground and amp ground both go to the same location as well.

ROZ
    The fact that it is constant at any volume makes me want to check the RCA's first...

thmper321
    The fact that it is constant at any volume makes me want to check the RCA's first...
    Yeah that could be also. I know a ton of shops that use the cheapest rca's they can get.
    I have also found some amps that even have problems with certain head units. For example, US Amps has trouble with Pioneer and Eclipse head units. Something with the signal ground. I'm not saying you have this combo but it could happen with other amps as well.
    If there is a problem with the signal ground then the RCA's could be picking up the noise from somewhere else that is consistant meaning the level of noise would not change with the volume.

rivergoer
    my supra was doing the same it was a bad ground

Rayndogg99
    so...we tinkerd with it a little and turned the gain down a little but the popping is still there but it goes away when the boat is in gear...Is that a grounding problem or someting else and if so where would the best place be to ground the amp?