Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New TX-19 MOLD

mirrorimage
    hey socal whats up with the site ....

Shark Attack 065

Looks sweet. Love the color too.

cyclone
    :idea: I would think the parts would spend at least 30 days in the mold. I lay up my hulls in steps, each day another lay up. By the time 30 days have passed its safe to remove the halves. Our hulls are joined in the mold , so the hull has more suport when pulled. In the old days the boats were still hot when pulled. Cole would lay up two or three flats in seven days. Not good in the long run. With a light hull like a squirt boat the longer its in the mold the truer the bottom was when pulled. Just my O2.
    Mike
    Oh yea .... Your molds look awsome.... Good luck...
    so you lay a layer of glass each day for 30 days? That's interesting. Mine was gelled and laid up in two days. It only spent about 36 hours in the mold. when it was pulled and the two halves were joined together the bottom was straight. It was explained to me that fiberglass will keep curing for months afterward but that it was strong enough to come out of the mold right after curing for a day.
    your way sounds stronger though.

steelcomp
    That looks like it's going to be a nice boat.
    My understanding of fiberglass, like concrete, is that it never stops curing.

Placecraft Dragstar
    I was always told that the longer you can leave it in the mold the better it is.

I believe steelcomp's statement is correct. Its important to have a good trailer properly designed to the shape of the hull as well. If the trailer bunks are saggy, it is possible for the hull to slowly take a set and become distorted over time. My boat is more ridgid in places that were flexible when it was removed from the mold. It was in for a couple weeks.

mcderns
    I saw those molds when we picked up our Cheyenne from Ervin. Very nice molds. Good luck and cant wait to see some more boats out of them!

Those are beautiful molds.
    http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/pics/molds.jpg
    The better shops I worked at, the parts sat at least a week in the molds once the lamanation schedule was reached, which could take as long as 4-5 days. That always seemed to be plenty of time for a good cure. The only one on the west coast that let them sit a month, that I ever heard of and still does it that way is Schiada. That's fantastic, but a long ass time. Unless you're getting Schiada prices to go along with that, I think it'd be real tough to do.
    On the other end of things, one shop I was at (who will not be named because the players are still building boats and some of you here just wet your pants over the mere mention of their names, lol) we built a boat, from cleaning and taping the molds to delivering it on a trailer fully rigged to the customer in 13 hours. It'd burn your eyes to just sit in the poor bastard because the resin was still cookin'.

jet4fun
    so is there a point in time when fiberglass reaches a certain age and loses its integrity?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast