Thread: MAKING BOAT SEATS, i know its been covered

76ANTHONY
    i know its been covered but the search isnt working on my puter. has anyone made their own rear seat? if so do you have any pics of it while your making it? thanks

JETBOY03
    i would like this info also, im about to start cutting some frames for a backseat.

71tahiti
    You might think of using nida-core to build the structure.. It is what Im going to use to re-frame my back seat.
    Nida core is honeycomb material, diff. thicknesses, and when glassed with mat on each side makes a very strong and light structural material.
    I also used it to replace the floor in my tahiti. Light and Strong
    just my .02

Xlration Marine
    Built a bunch, but no pics and no drawings. It's all I my head. Nida core? 1/2" and 3/4" ply is good, five ply or seven if you can find it. Staple gun wood glue, resin and glass for tabing the corners. Keep the glass away from areas that will have the uperholstry stapled to, the guy doing the seats won't cus at you for having the glass in the wrong spot. Wood holds staple's. Coat the wood with resin while you tab in the corners, they will last longer. I used 1/2" in the sides and back and maybe 3/4 in the bottom if needed for strength. In the bottom put a tack strip on 3/4 is good for this. You do this so the staples don't pull out cuz they don't pull up, they staple to the face of the tack strip. The tack strip is where the 2" or 2 1/2" foam will sit on, so this will give you an idea on how to build it. When you build the seat bottom (the cushon) give it a 1/2 space all the way around to make up for the material that will be covering it and the material stapled to the tack strip. Make sure you put some rake into the back of the seat so it isn't straight up, 15% is good. And no sharp edges on the wood that may cut through the material. I was told how to build the from an old timer, that sall he did, custom work. Always feaking drunk too.

bead
    but sorry , i dont have any pics. i took my old seats and used them for a template on industrial paper , transfered that to 1/4 wiggle wood , made the base wrapped the 1/4 wiggle wood around the base . secured it with ss staples, wraped another piece around back . marked it a little bigger , cut it out , secured around this time with ss wood screws . grind the whole thing and then glassed entire seat w/ mesh. they came out sweet . alot of time but saved me $ having them done by someone else. also the wood used can be purchased with the grain going vertical or horizontal so it bends easier without to much waste . i got mine at a plce in Reseda , Ca. parthinia & reseda plywood speciallty place.

76ANTHONY
    great info, thanks guys, i guess you just build whatever you want for a shape and leave it up to the shop to cover it huh? sweet, i wish my woman would learn how to make seat covers then id build some shiat.

Xlration Marine
    Thats how I did mine, back to back. I had 2 buckets and a bench, yanked them out. Built back to backs, with 14" in between the seats. I have the cut outs in the wood to drop in speakers or put doors on them for more storage. And strong enough to sit on top of them if I want. Free wood, drove around some new home sites and found 5 ply plywood, quality stuff. Just ask the super before you go digging. He said if it's in it or near it it's free game, the dumpster that is.. Found a full sheet sitting next to one, free game it is.